Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-06401

Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-06401

Post by Jacob Nordgr » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:43:13

I don't understand this error message. Can't find out what I'm doing
wrong.
I'm usig Oracle 8.105 on a Linux machine. Everything worked fine when
I used thin instead of oci but when I've changed to oci I get this
error message.

ORA-06401 NETCMN: invalid driver designator
Cause: The login (connect) string contains an invalid driver
designator.
Action: Correct the string and re-submit.

I use:

and have also tried:
1))(connect_data=(sid=mydb)))

What's wrong? I don't understand what means with "driver designator".

/ Jacob

Post by Sybrand Bakk » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 19:02:13

> I don't understand this error message. Can't find out what I'm doing
> wrong.
> I'm usig Oracle 8.105 on a Linux machine. Everything worked fine when
> I used thin instead of oci but when I've changed to oci I get this
> error message.

> ORA-06401 NETCMN: invalid driver designator
> Cause: The login (connect) string contains an invalid driver
> designator.
> Action: Correct the string and re-submit.

> I use:

> and have also tried:
1))(connect_data=(sid=mydb)))

> What's wrong? I don't understand what means with "driver designator".

> / Jacob

According to the Oracle Desk Reference by Guy Harrison
the syntax is

for the thin driver
or

for the oci8 driver. Servicename should be present in tnsnames.ora

You are mixing up syntax.
Please refer to the Oracle jdbc documentation for official syntax

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-06401

Post by Jacob Nordgr » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:24:34

Hi and thank you. Now I get a new error message:

ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

Does that mean that the NLS_LANG parameter is not set? How can I look
if it is set? Should I set it in the client or on the server? How?
What value should I set it too?

I've looked at some other postings saying that I can change the
NLS_LANGUAGE in the SESSION table, however - in my database there is
no such table...

Thank you,

Jacob

> According to the Oracle Desk Reference by Guy Harrison
> the syntax is

> for the thin driver
> or

> for the oci8 driver. Servicename should be present in tnsnames.ora

> You are mixing up syntax.
> Please refer to the Oracle jdbc documentation for official syntax

> Regards,

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

1. Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-06401

I don't understand this error message. Can't find out what I'm doing
wrong.
I'm usig Oracle 8.105 on a Linux machine. Everything worked fine when
I used thin instead of oci but when I've changed to oci I get this
error message.

ORA-06401 NETCMN: invalid driver designator
Cause: The login (connect) string contains an invalid driver
designator.
Action: Correct the string and re-submit.

I use:

and have also tried:
1))(connect_data=(sid=mydb)))

What's wrong? I don't understand what means with "driver designator".

/ Jacob

2. MS SQL Server 7.0?

3. ORA-12154: Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154

4. Oracle8 Server r8.0.3 with HP-UX Version 10.??

5. error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-03121

6. Enterprise Manager

7. Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12705

8. Using :V and :W with BROWSE

9. ERROR: ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid driver designator

10. ORA-06401 error?

11. ORA-06401 Error

12. Please, help!! ERROR: ORA-06401

13. ORA-06401 Error Please Help