HELP: Crystal Reports and Oracle

Post by Kenneth Le » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Has anybody ever used CR Pro 4.6.1 (included in VB5) with an Oracle
Database? My report is growing beyond 1 MB(!) now. So far, i haven't seen
any positive things of using CR, but only a lot of trouble - coding it in
HTML would have made things easier, at least i will know what is going on
in the code. Previewing the report in CR also takes a long time just for
only 2(!) pages. I'm really getting tired and frustated now. CAN SOMEBODY
PLEASE HELP? <sorry for the caps>. Thanks a zillion.

Bye,
Ken.

HELP: Crystal Reports and Oracle

Post by Ed Car » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> Has anybody ever used CR Pro 4.6.1 (included in VB5) with an Oracle
> Database? My report is growing beyond 1 MB(!) now. So far, i haven't seen
> any positive things of using CR, but only a lot of trouble - coding it in
> HTML would have made things easier, at least i will know what is going on
> in the code. Previewing the report in CR also takes a long time just for
> only 2(!) pages. I'm really getting tired and frustated now. CAN SOMEBODY
> PLEASE HELP? <sorry for the caps>. Thanks a zillion.

I personally use Microsoft Access's report writer - it's a lot faster and
easier to use - then call the OLE layer to print reports:

Screen.MousePointer = 11
Set appAccess = CreateObject("Access.Application")
appAccess.OpenCurrentDatabase Data1.DatabaseName
'appAccess.DoCmd.OpenReport "Status by Date", acViewNormal
DebugText = DebugText & Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) & "Print single detail report
for Problems.ID " & txtFields(0)
appAccess.DoCmd.OpenReport "Detail", acViewNormal, , "Problems.ID = " &
txtFields(0)
If Err <> 0 Then
    MsgBox Error$
End If
On Error GoTo 0
DoEvents
appAccess.CloseCurrentDatabase
Set appAccess = Nothing
Screen.MousePointer = 0

1. Good Reporting Tool for VB to SQL (Currently Use Crystal) or Crystal w/SQL Help Appreciated

SQL 6.5, VB 4.0 (32 Bit)

I am currently using Crystal Reports 4.x to report against SQL data.  ( I
took the Crystal Reports from VB5 and installed it with my VB4 - can't use
VB5 for other reasons on this app).

The reporting tool seems Ok for some of our solutions, but on others it
fails or just can't perform the task.  For example, with TEXT data types,
we are getting a result on the printout where the contents of one field are
displayed in another.

Also, when we have one parent table to two or more repeating children
tables we can not setup a report that will display the appropriate results.
 For example:

Table ORDER has one row
Table DETAIL has three rows
Table RATES has two rows

Now we want to create a report that includes information from all three
tables.  A SQL Query might look like this:

Select ORDER.NUM, DETAIL.QTY, RATES.EFFECTIVEDATE
From ORDER, DETAIL, RATES
Where ORDER.NUM *= DETAIL.NUM AND ORDER.FEESCHEDULE *= RATES.FEESCHEDULE

The result could be:

ORDER.NUM               DETAIL.QTY              RATES.EFFECTIVEDATE
0001                    1                       Jan 01, 1997
0001                    4                       Jan 02, 1997
0001                    1                       (Null)

The problem is that no Crystal has no way of reporting on the DETAIL.QTY
field in a repeating value setup and then go back and report on the
RATES.EFFECTIVEDATE (with a repeating value setup for that section as
well).  Crystal has some options that can do this with ACCESS, dBase,
etc... But not SQL.

The option I am faced with is to attach the SQL tables to a Jet Database
(mdb) file and report against that.  It is not a good solution because some
of the data is large and would take too long.

Any other suggestions about Crystal and SQL or another tool and SQL.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please feel free to email me directly at:

--
Thank You,
Gary Glickman

2. using a custom COM object in DTS?

3. Editing Crystal reports without Crystal Reports

4. Applying Transaction Log Backups !!!

5. Crystal Report 6 and Crystal Report 8

6. Maybe not the right group to ask this but...

7. Announcement: Easily integrate Crystal Reports with Remedy with UFLTimeZone for Crystal Reports

8. PARADOX 4.0 VS. 4.5: WHICH TO USE?

9. Help Help Help with Crystal report

10. Printing Crystal Reports report help needed

11. Help With Crystal Reports: Crashes Program After Showing Second Report

12. VB4 and Crystal Reports - report error 20000 HELP!!

13. Need help printing LARGE reports with vb3.0 and Crystal Reports