Query Builder component for Java?

Post by Joe Toome » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm looking for a Java Query Builder component to use in an application I'm
developing at work.  I expect it to cost some $, but it needs to be
royalty-free redistributable (i.e. we pay once but our customers don't.)

I'm hoping for the following, but would be willing to settle for less if
necessary.  If you know of such a component, can you please let me know?
(remove the nospam. if you reply directly to me)  Thanks much!

We'd like a graphical Query Builder component, written in Java, which allows
simple SQL select statements to be built for any JDBC data source.  We're
hoping to see each table graphically with the ability to select columns to
include in the query.  We'd like the user to be able to specify WHERE and
ORDER BY clauses in a Query By Example style.  Joins may or may not be
necessary -- if the Query Builder happens to support them, great.  Another
very-nice-to-have (borderline requirement) would be the ability to switch
between SQL view and Design view, with roundtrip modification (edit the
SQL -- the visual view changes accordingly, edit the visual view -- the SQL
changes accordingly.)  Obviously, we'd need the ability to extract the SQL
statement when the query is built (if necessary, serialization to a file
which we can find would be okay.)

We could provide the JDBC connection to the Query Builder, or it could
capture the necessary information, load the driver and make the connection
itself.

Thanks for any help you can provide,
--Joe

Query Builder component for Java?

Post by Jim Rideno » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

   There are a few free or nearly free ones.  See:

http://www.trash.net/~ffischer/admin/

  Some searching around should reveal the others.

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999 17:32:09 -0500, "Joe Toomey"

>Hi.

>I'm looking for a Java Query Builder component to use in an application I'm
>developing at work.  I expect it to cost some $, but it needs to be
>royalty-free redistributable (i.e. we pay once but our customers don't.)

>I'm hoping for the following, but would be willing to settle for less if
>necessary.  If you know of such a component, can you please let me know?
>(remove the nospam. if you reply directly to me)  Thanks much!

>We'd like a graphical Query Builder component, written in Java, which allows
>simple SQL select statements to be built for any JDBC data source.  We're
>hoping to see each table graphically with the ability to select columns to
>include in the query.  We'd like the user to be able to specify WHERE and
>ORDER BY clauses in a Query By Example style.  Joins may or may not be
>necessary -- if the Query Builder happens to support them, great.  Another
>very-nice-to-have (borderline requirement) would be the ability to switch
>between SQL view and Design view, with roundtrip modification (edit the
>SQL -- the visual view changes accordingly, edit the visual view -- the SQL
>changes accordingly.)  Obviously, we'd need the ability to extract the SQL
>statement when the query is built (if necessary, serialization to a file
>which we can find would be okay.)

>We could provide the JDBC connection to the Query Builder, or it could
>capture the necessary information, load the driver and make the connection
>itself.

>Thanks for any help you can provide,
>--Joe

--------
To send me email remove "REMOVETHIS" from my address.

1. Query Builder/Design Component

We're looking for a component (ActiveX or MFC) to incorporate into our
product that has
the same capabilities as the Query Design component in Microsoft Access.
This tool
allows the user to create a SQL query by selecting tables and fields within
tables in a
somewhat graphical manner.

1) It is our understanding that this component is not available for reuse.
Does anyone
know whether this is true or not. If it is available, who at Microsoft can
we contact for
more information?
2) Are there other products available that perform the same functions? If
so, can these
products be integrated with or accessed by other applications?

Thanks

Martin Bertolino
TALX Corporation

2. Sharing Database

3. Q: Looking For a Query Builder Component

4. Is there a clipper group?

5. TSQLBuilder : Visual SQL query builder component

6. FOXPRO database structure?

7. Query builder component

8. Advise on DB selection

9. Visual Query Builder-like component needed

10. SQL Query Builder written in Java

11. Wanted Java SQL Query Builder Applet