"Data source not found" message

Post by Johan Nilsso » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

after applying Service Pack 3, my NT service, which until then worked just
fine, started reporting the following message "Data source name not found
and no default driver specified". I know that the SP installs ODBC 3.0, but
one would think that a SP wouldn't break existing (and working)
applications. Also tried to remove/reinstall my system data source using
the ODBC CPL applet, but the error persists.

I use MSVC 4.2 and the data source is an Access database. Do I really,
really have to install new database drivers (I _dont_ want to!), or is
there any way of getting around this?

Many thanks,

// Johan Nilsson

"Data source not found" message

Post by Johan Nilsso » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

If anyone is interested,

I found out the the problem myself; I just had to remove the "ODBC;" part
from my connect string, after that it worked ok. Well, one minor thing; the
database access seems to be unbuffered now with ODBC 3.0 drivers (I also
upgraded the MS desktop drivers, eventually), so for each record that is
written there is quite a lot of disk trashing.

Anyone know how to get rid of that?

Quote:> Hi,

> after applying Service Pack 3, my NT service, which until then worked

just

"Data source not found" message

Post by Dan Kirb » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi Johan,
If you upgraded to the newer Access ODBC driver and you are seeing
thrashing, go to the data source setup and change the "buffer size" under
the Options button.  This is 512K by default where as the older driver was
5Mb on a 32Mb machine.

--dan

> If anyone is interested,

> I found out the the problem myself; I just had to remove the "ODBC;" part
> from my connect string, after that it worked ok. Well, one minor thing;
the
> database access seems to be unbuffered now with ODBC 3.0 drivers (I also
> upgraded the MS desktop drivers, eventually), so for each record that is
> written there is quite a lot of disk trashing.

> Anyone know how to get rid of that?

> > Hi,

> > after applying Service Pack 3, my NT service, which until then worked
> just

1. help - "data source name not found"

I have created a web application that uses ASP on the front end, which calls
VB functions that read and write to an Access database.

Everything works great when the VB DLL is in run mode, but after it is
compiled, I am getting the following message in the Event Viewer when trying
to connect to the Access database via ODBC:

"Data source name not found and no default driver specified from Microsoft
OLE DB Provider for ODBC drivers."

I have already created the ODBC data source (under System DSN).

Here is the relevant code from the DLL:

Dim Conn As ADODB.Connection

Set Conn = New ADODB.Connection
Conn.Open "webdb"  //////////this is where it is blowing up

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Error: The database you are attempting to restore was backed up under a differen

3. PLEASE HELP "message file not found"

4. AS/400 Linked Server And Replication

5. oninit -i: "Cannot find message file"- Error Messages

6. Clarion Help Wanted

7. "DataSource" data member not found

8. Converting Access forms to VB forms

9. "Could not find data access library"

10. "not data found" error in replication

11. "Data source is not found" error with data source is there

12. Error Message: "Cannot find Installable ISAM"

13. "Found Dead Dispatcher" message