MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Stefano Magn » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:09:34

Help me please,

I've written a program in VB6 that use an Access97 database. This program
use ADO control with jet 3.51 as connection string to database. When I try
to install my program in PC that has MDAC 2.5 installed, I've an error
(-2147220992).
MDAC 2.5 doesn't contains jet 3.51 that my program use. Is it possible use
Jet 4.0 with Access97 database.
If I want use Jet 3.51, how can I install the program correctly ?

Thanks for answer

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Douglas J. Steel » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:50:41

Jet 4.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, so theoretically you can use
it with an Access 97 database.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:> Help me please,

> I've written a program in VB6 that use an Access97 database. This program
> use ADO control with jet 3.51 as connection string to database. When I try
> to install my program in PC that has MDAC 2.5 installed, I've an error
> (-2147220992).
> MDAC 2.5 doesn't contains jet 3.51 that my program use. Is it possible use
> Jet 4.0 with Access97 database.
> If I want use Jet 3.51, how can I install the program correctly ?

> Thanks for answer

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Steven Br » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 06:36:17

The easiest solution is to change the provider you specified in your code
to Jet 4.0. It's very very difficult to get the earlier provider onto a
system that has had 2.5 installed.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

reserved.

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Jorge Jimene » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:28:06

In order to use Access97 format with
jet 4.0, you'll need to add to the connection
string "Engine Type=5" (can't remember for sure if it should be 5 or 4)

--
Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica
(remove the obvious to send e-mail)

Quote:> Help me please,

> I've written a program in VB6 that use an Access97 database. This program
> use ADO control with jet 3.51 as connection string to database. When I try
> to install my program in PC that has MDAC 2.5 installed, I've an error
> (-2147220992).
> MDAC 2.5 doesn't contains jet 3.51 that my program use. Is it possible use
> Jet 4.0 with Access97 database.
> If I want use Jet 3.51, how can I install the program correctly ?

> Thanks for answer

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Steven Br » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:08:45

This is not strictly necessary; Jet 4.0 can read all older formats with no
special setting of the Engine Type.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

reserved.

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Jorge Jimene » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:10:51

It's my understanding that you should add the
Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=4  if you want to keep the
old format, otherwise, the database is converted to
Access 2000 format.

I'm I wrong?

--
Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica
(remove the obvious to send e-mail)

Quote:> This is not strictly necessary; Jet 4.0 can read all older formats with no
> special setting of the Engine Type.

> Steven Bras, MCSD
> Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved.

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Steven Br » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:42:14

The only thing I'm aware of that causes conversion is CompactDatabase (in
JRO); by default it converts to Access 2000. If you wish to avoid that, you
change the engine type.

Hope this helps!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

reserved.

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Jorge Jimene » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:52:19

Thanks Steven.

I'll be running some tests here to clear this up for me.

The first I just did is with ADOX (using Jet 4.0) to create a database.
If engine type=4 is omitted here, the database format will be access 2000.
Second thing I noticed are the datatypes.
If engine type 4 is not used, the table creation will not allow a type of
adVarChar.

--
Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica
(remove the obvious to send e-mail)

Quote:> The only thing I'm aware of that causes conversion is CompactDatabase (in
> JRO); by default it converts to Access 2000. If you wish to avoid that,
you
> change the engine type.

> Hope this helps!

> Steven Bras, MCSD
> Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved.

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Steven Br » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:38:09

My apologies; I forgot ADOX and creating a database as another usage of the
engine number. You are absolutely correct. The reason for adVarChar no
longer being permitted is that Access 2000 and later uses Unicode
(adWVarChar).

Hope this helps, and again my apologies!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

reserved.

MDAC 2.5 with Jet 3.51

Post by Jorge Jimene » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:48:02

Hi Steven. No need for apologies.
You're a great help to us all here.

I haven't had time to continue testing this stuff
(I have a project to complete in less than two weeks)
So I'll pick this up later, for the benefit of the NG

--
Saludos, Jorge Jimenez, SICAD S.A., Costa Rica
(remove the obvious to send e-mail)

Quote:> My apologies; I forgot ADOX and creating a database as another usage of
the
> engine number. You are absolutely correct. The reason for adVarChar no
> longer being permitted is that Access 2000 and later uses Unicode
> (adWVarChar).

> Hope this helps, and again my apologies!

> Steven Bras, MCSD
> Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

rights.
> You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
> reserved.

1. mdac 2.5 and jet 3.51

Hi
I wanted to see if anyone could give me a heads up on installations
into W2000 with existing ado 2.5

Will an access 97 (jet 3.51) database work with mdac 2.5

If not, will including the two  3.51 jet dll's with install into the W2000
machine allow
the access 97 database to work ?

Thanks (VB5sp3)
Wayne

2. Need help

3. JRO 2.5 with Jet 3.51 files?

4. EXCELLENT NEW WEB BOARD!! CHECK IT OUT :)

5. Jet DB Performance (Jet 3.51 vs. Jet 4.0)

6. SQL Syntax

7. Going Back to Jet 3.51 / DAO 3.51

8. SQL Probe--Free 30 Day Demo--MS SQL Server Mgt & Analysis

9. ADO with MDAC 2.5 and Jet Dependency?

10. Problem with MDAC 2.5 SP2/Jet 4.0 SP5 on WinNT4 SP6

11. Jet 3.51 to Jet 4.0

12. INSERT INTO works with Jet 3.51 but fails with Jet 4.0