How does one get a job?!

Post by ==]==DAVE===&g » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Greetings! :)

        Hi there! I have found that there is almost no information on how
someone takes the small amount of programming education from school to the next
step: getting a job!

        Seems to me, companies are hesitant to hire entry level, fresh out of
school programmers. I have been told by many, many people that I am a gifted
programmer. I hesitate to believe this. The education I have received has, in
my opinion, only taught me the basics. And in most cases, hasn't even given me
an insight into the knowledge that I am missing!

        I have learned many programming languages: cobol, c, visual basic,
fortran, and pascal. The only problem is, that in all of these I have only been
taught the basics! I truly enjoy programming in visual basic, and when I think
of projects for myself, I am usually unsure of the direction to proceed in,
i.e. it's more complicated than just the basics allow for!

        In all of the classes I have taken at the Computer Learning Centers, as
well as in college, I have scored straight A's. But whenever I look for the
next step, I seem to hit a brick wall. I've come to the conclusion that the
next step has to be taught in the workplace, by a company who has a specific
direction to send you.

        Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Information on any
companies that can train me further; take me to the next step?

        Thank you for your time,

        David Weiss

How does one get a job?!

Post by Javier Herrer » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem when I began. What I did was go to a small company (a video)
and ask permission to design a program to control the business (client/server).
Although I'm still working in the program, I learnt the basics to begin my career.
I am sure there is other ways to do that but at that time, it was the easiest way
for me.

> Greetings! :)

>         Hi there! I have found that there is almost no information on how
> someone takes the small amount of programming education from school to the next
> step: getting a job!

>         Seems to me, companies are hesitant to hire entry level, fresh out of
> school programmers. I have been told by many, many people that I am a gifted
> programmer. I hesitate to believe this. The education I have received has, in
> my opinion, only taught me the basics. And in most cases, hasn't even given me
> an insight into the knowledge that I am missing!

>         I have learned many programming languages: cobol, c, visual basic,
> fortran, and pascal. The only problem is, that in all of these I have only been
> taught the basics! I truly enjoy programming in visual basic, and when I think
> of projects for myself, I am usually unsure of the direction to proceed in,
> i.e. it's more complicated than just the basics allow for!

>         In all of the classes I have taken at the Computer Learning Centers, as
> well as in college, I have scored straight A's. But whenever I look for the
> next step, I seem to hit a brick wall. I've come to the conclusion that the
> next step has to be taught in the workplace, by a company who has a specific
> direction to send you.

>         Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? Information on any
> companies that can train me further; take me to the next step?

>         Thank you for your time,

>         David Weiss

How does one get a job?!

Post by To » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Good grief...where do you live?  I could get you a job here in about
15 minutes.   I notice your message is a bit old and I just now
noticed it.  If you still don't have a job, e-mail me at

You may not like it, but it will always get your foot in the door.

Good luck.

Tom

How does one get a job?!

Post by Jesper G?dva » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I agree with Javier Herrera.

You could also start by getting a support job either telephone support or as
an intern supporter in a big company. That way you would get to know people
in the business.

Best regards and good luck, Jesper Goedvad.

Quote:>Greetings! :)

> Hi there! I have found that there is almost no information on how
>someone takes the small amount of programming education from school to the
next
>step: getting a job!

[ect....]

1. JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS

JOB TITLE: Senior Programmer DataWareHousing

LENGTH: Temp-to-Perm

WORK LOCATION: Rockville or Frederick, Maryland

START DATE:  ASAP

TRAVEL:  WHERE:  % OF TIME:

HOURS: 40+

Near a DBA  has to have experience with either Oracle 7 or 8

Design and architect an Oracle Dbase for the DataWarehouse group.

Heavy SQL tuning but not Dbase tuning.  Needs to know database indexing
versus non indexing; architect data structures; familiar with I/O
constraints; Star Schemas; map Indexing; needs to know indexing versus
non-indexing.

Need to understand the buiness/industry and the DataBase.  Will look at
somebody whos been working with Oracle for 2 to 3 years, but not someone
that that has been coding in Forms.

DataWarehouse members; claims; providers; authorizations, payments, etc.
all maintained in these DataBases.  They are massive in size.

Sun boxes; Unix platform;

Core hours are 9 to 4.  If someone wants to leave at 4, they need to be in
at 8, and inversely, if they are in at 9, theyll leave at 5.

2. lock & memory issue

3. getting job number of queued job

4. Oracle DBA Part time needed ASAP, Seattle area

5. Getting things done in OLAP

6. Data Dictionary

7. Pictures of my sister getting her hair done - New Web Site

8. newbie needs advice!

9. prompting user, getting table name, doing things

10. DAO3.60 - getting error 3260 when doing CDaoRecordset::Update

11. Getting identity when doing insert in VB.NET

12. While doing Bulk insert temp is getting full