Problems with the Masked Edit control in VB4.0

Problems with the Masked Edit control in VB4.0

Post by Christopher J. Blackmoo » Thu, 24 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello out there.

I'm writing a small app in VB4.0 Pro and I'm running into a constant battle
with the Masked Edit Control. I can get it to work fine with posting codes,
etc, but as soon as I try and link it to a Date field in a Jet 3.0 database
it all goes arse over tit. It either doesn't work, or shows me the contents
of the field about three record movements back.

Has anyone got any ideas, things to check, etc ? Any help would be greatly
appreciated - email me if possible.

Thanks.

Chris

Problems with the Masked Edit control in VB4.0

Post by Jule » Mon, 28 Oct 1996 03:00:00

I fought this battle many times, I finally decided that I would write my
own data layer module and quit using the data bound controls. It was the
only thing that ever worked right. I had this problem especially with
dates, I tried setting the MaskEdit1.Format property to 'ddddd' (The
current windows setting for short date) and the MaskedEdit1.Mask property
to '##/##/##' and it never seemed to work, the data was Saved into the DB
OK, but I could never get it refresh (and when it would it was wrong). It
seemed that it would keep the last value that I enetered while that app was
running.  I did learn that 'short date'  is not mm/dd/yy but mm/dd/yyyyy.
Basicly I never figured out how to fix this, and now I never use Bound
controls.  Make it easier for yourself, and more controlable by writing
your own datalayer and then you wont have these problems.

- matt ;)
Universe Halted (Abort/Retry/Fail)?

PS: also note, the data bound combo boxes max out at 12 instances, so if
you want more that 12 data fields interfaced by combo boxes, you are out of
luck

> Hello out there.

> I'm writing a small app in VB4.0 Pro and I'm running into a constant
battle
> with the Masked Edit Control. I can get it to work fine with posting
codes,
> etc, but as soon as I try and link it to a Date field in a Jet 3.0
database
> it all goes arse over tit. It either doesn't work, or shows me the
contents
> of the field about three record movements back.

> Chris

1. problems with Mask edit controls bound to data controls

To control user's input, I would like use Mask edit.
On my form I have a button, to add a new record, but when VB execute
        Data.recordset.addnew
I have a validation error and after a run-time error, with the empty
field (His mask is ?######), and I can't resume this error.

Somebody has an idea where i'm mistaking (i think it's possible to
add a new records with this control.

        Thank Your for your help

        Arnaud - France - Paris

2. Foreign key assignment for a field.

3. Masked Edit Control and Remote data control problem

4. Need to remove spaces for search

5. masked Edit Control Problem

6. Can't create CDaoRecordsets -- maybe read-only memory?

7. Problem with bound DataCombo and Masked Edit controls when changing their contents

8. Newbie Question

9. Problem with Masked Edit Control

10. Problem with Masked Edit control...

11. Masked Edit Control /AddNew Problem

12. Masked Edit Control date type problem

13. Masked Edit Control Problem