MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

Post by William F. LaMarti » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Perhaps I can save some of you some time.  It took me three days to finally
figure out that the error message -- Run-time error '429': ActiveX component
can't create object that I received when I tried to run a project containing
ADO components that had just been installed was being caused by a VB PDW
installation that did not properly install the ADO component of MDAC.

The PDW included MDAC_type.exe as part of the installation package, and I
watched it run before the installation of the regular program files, but
apparently MDAC did not do its job properly because there was no C:\Program
Files\Common Files\System\Ado directory created on the client machine.

Once. I discovered this and ran Mdac_type.exe independently of the
installation, everything was fine.

Is there a problem with MDAC not installing the ADO components properly on
Win 95 machines?  There certainly was on this particular machine.  I have
had no such problems on Win 98 machines.

MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

Post by Dana Ree » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I ran into the EXACT same problem today.  I tried installing an app using ADO,
created with PDW, on a Win95 machine.  I developed on NT and had reached the
point of creating a distribution for testing on other platforms when I ran into
this problem.  My app is 100KB and using ADO requires distributing mdac_typ.exe
which is 6.3MB - ridiculous!  I recoded all the db calls in DAO which cuts the
size of the distributable package by more than half.  As far as I'm concerned,
ADO sucks - it's just too much of a hog, and unreliable as hell.

> Perhaps I can save some of you some time.  It took me three days to finally
> figure out that the error message -- Run-time error '429': ActiveX component
> can't create object that I received when I tried to run a project containing
> ADO components that had just been installed was being caused by a VB PDW
> installation that did not properly install the ADO component of MDAC.

> The PDW included MDAC_type.exe as part of the installation package, and I
> watched it run before the installation of the regular program files, but
> apparently MDAC did not do its job properly because there was no C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\System\Ado directory created on the client machine.

> Once. I discovered this and ran Mdac_type.exe independently of the
> installation, everything was fine.

> Is there a problem with MDAC not installing the ADO components properly on
> Win 95 machines?  There certainly was on this particular machine.  I have
> had no such problems on Win 98 machines.

MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

Post by William F. LaMarti » Wed, 20 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I certainly don't like the need for installing DCOM, where I have to choose
between the 95 or 98 version, then installing MDAC--which is apparently not
reliably run by the PDW--all before my application installs.

That said, if I want to use the new VB 6 data reports, I need ADO.

Quote:> I ran into the EXACT same problem today.  I tried installing an app using
ADO,
> created with PDW, on a Win95 machine.  I developed on NT and had reached
the
> point of creating a distribution for testing on other platforms when I ran
into
> this problem.  My app is 100KB and using ADO requires distributing
mdac_typ.exe
> which is 6.3MB - ridiculous!  I recoded all the db calls in DAO which cuts
the
> size of the distributable package by more than half.  As far as I'm
concerned,
> ADO sucks - it's just too much of a hog, and unreliable as hell.

MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

Post by William R Highfiel » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:10:19 GMT, "William F. LaMartin"

comp.lang.basic.visual.database:

Quote:>I certainly don't like the need for installing DCOM, where I have to choose
>between the 95 or 98 version, then installing MDAC--which is apparently not
>reliably run by the PDW--all before my application installs.

>That said, if I want to use the new VB 6 data reports, I need ADO.

I would drop the data reports and use another reporting tool.  I have
found that they lack bigtime.  You can get a report designer component
for free from Seagate software that works much like the VB datareport
but has most of the functionality of Crystal Reports.

Just my .02

As for DCOM and MDAC you could re-write the setup1.exe to install DCOM
in the same way as MDAC is installed.  DCOM does support command line
switches.  All you would have to do is write to the registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
to run the setup.exe again and viola' you have a better setup.

MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

Post by William F. LaMarti » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Actually, I getting along with the data report fairly well now. I have found
a few things that I can't do with it that I found easy with Microsoft
Access's reports.  But as I delve more into creating commands with SQL, I am
finding that by using these commands I can create more involved data
reports.

What you mention about making the dcom installation part of the setup1.exe
intrigues me.  Of course, it would have to decide which dcom to run--95 or
98.  I will look into it.  Right now it isn't too pressing, but if I want to
create a widely distributed application using ADO, I suppose such a setup is
vital.

Quote:> I would drop the data reports and use another reporting tool.  I have
> found that they lack bigtime.  You can get a report designer component
> for free from Seagate software that works much like the VB datareport
> but has most of the functionality of Crystal Reports.

> Just my .02

> As for DCOM and MDAC you could re-write the setup1.exe to install DCOM
> in the same way as MDAC is installed.  DCOM does support command line
> switches.  All you would have to do is write to the registry in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
> to run the setup.exe again and viola' you have a better setup.

MDAC_Type.exe and the Package and Deployment Wizard

Post by Curtis Spendlo » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What you mention about making the dcom installation part of the setup1.exe
>intrigues me.  Of course, it would have to decide which dcom to run--95 or
>98.  I will look into it.  Right now it isn't too pressing, but if I want to
>create a widely distributed application using ADO, I suppose such a setup is
>vital.

I'm looking into the exact same process, but even more involved (as it must
locate and install from various locations); determining the Windows version
really isn't that difficult.  The difficulty comes in Microsoft saying you
can't distribute DCOM98.  ;)

In fact, all the information needed to determine which version to install is
already in MSDN Online (and probably on the Library CD as well).  My main
concern is determining whether DCOM is installed or not...and elegantly
resuming the setup process if a restart is involved (I'm guessing the common
registry key would be the best for this; however, I see nightmares with "disk
cleanup" software)..  Development is a neverending battle...on with the charge.
 =)

-Curtis Spendlove
-Solstice Software

1. Package and Deployment Wizard

I have a project using the dataenvironment, datacomboboxes, crystal
reports, and a crystal report viewer. (The project is in VB)

When I run the package and deployment wizard, I go through all of the
steps, and when I click finish, it begins to create the CAB file.
That's when I get an error:

"An unknown error occured while building the cabinet
file 'auth_form.cab'.  Please verify that you have proper access to the
destination and that there is sufficient space there to create the
file."

Besides the two obvious reasons stated, does anyone know of any reason
that this error would be generated???

Any help would be great!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Datawarehousing solutions? Moving data efficently?

3. Deployment wizard package VB6

4. ingres ports

5. Package & Deployment Wizard Query

6. pgsql/src/backend/regex (Makefile)

7. ADO 2.0 and Package/Deployment Wizard

8. Package and deployment wizard

9. Package and Deployment Wizard

10. Package & Deployment Wizard Problem

11. Package Deployment Wizard?