Table Corruption and Repair for Paradox Tables

Table Corruption and Repair for Paradox Tables

Post by Colette Flanaga » Mon, 25 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I have a large database of medical patients, I've written
in Delphi against Paradox tables.  I occaisonally find my
tables corrupted, and my partner frequently finds it so. (We're
using IBM Thinkpad laptops).  I made a child of TTable that
flushes with each post, but it didn't seem to help.  Any advise
to prevent such corruption?

The Paradox Table Repair Utility is really screwing things up.
My autoincrement key fields get renumbered breaking referential
integrity entirely, and it fails to understand the Ref Ints,
complaining about *.VAL files.  Any advice on fixing tables?

Thanks
Jim Walsh

Table Corruption and Repair for Paradox Tables

Post by Bernhard Cott » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>The Paradox Table Repair Utility is really screwing things up.
>My autoincrement key fields get renumbered breaking referential
>integrity entirely, and it fails to understand the Ref Ints,
>complaining about *.VAL files.  Any advice on fixing tables?

>Thanks
>Jim Walsh

Jim this is an inherant problem with Paradox(reseting the Autoincrement fields). You will be
better keaping a separate table and code to generate the ID fields instead of using Auotincrement
Fields.

As to the corruption problems I would be interested in any replies to this.

Delphi\Paradox Developer        JOHNY5 Computer Services
Bernhard Cotton     Phone (618) 235-2491 Fax (618) 235-0921
Mobile 0416-235-249
PO Box 54, Findon, SA 5023, Adelaide, Australia

Post by Mike Fris » Wed, 27 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: The Paradox Table Repair Utility is really screwing things up.
: My autoincrement key fields get renumbered breaking referential
: integrity entirely, and it fails to understand the Ref Ints,
: complaining about *.VAL files.  Any advice on fixing tables?

        We noticed the same problem with the autoinc keys being
renumbered, so we went with a separate table for primary keys and added a
function for retrieving the next available key.  This fixes this problem,
but the fact that Paradox tables seem to corrupt themselves is still
annoying.

Mike.

     Northstar Technologies                    Compuserve: 76620,2534
     Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA       WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch

Post by Donald R. Odd » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>>The Paradox Table Repair Utility is really screwing things up.
>>My autoincrement key fields get renumbered breaking referential
>>integrity entirely, and it fails to understand the Ref Ints,
>>complaining about *.VAL files.  Any advice on fixing tables?

>Jim this is an inherant problem with Paradox(reseting the Autoincrement
> fields). You will be
>better keaping a separate table and code to generate the ID fields instead of
> using Auotincrement
>Fields.

>As to the corruption problems I would be interested in any replies to this.

The commonest cause of corrupting files is switching off without exiting
the application. I expect exiting windows without closing the application
first can also cause corruption.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

Table Corruption and Repair for Paradox Tables

Post by Arro » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>I have a large database of medical patients, I've written
>in Delphi against Paradox tables.  I occaisonally find my
>tables corrupted, and my partner frequently finds it so. (We're
>using IBM Thinkpad laptops).  I made a child of TTable that
>flushes with each post, but it didn't seem to help.  Any advise
>to prevent such corruption?

>The Paradox Table Repair Utility is really screwing things up.
>My autoincrement key fields get renumbered breaking referential
>integrity entirely, and it fails to understand the Ref Ints,
>complaining about *.VAL files.  Any advice on fixing tables?

>Thanks
>Jim Walsh

Using an autoincrement field as the master key between parent and child
files is "verbotten".  You can set up another table to dish out numbers
for the user.  An example of that is available in the MastApp sample
that comes with Delphi.  If you have any further questions in that
regard please EMail me.
Ben
Arrow Software

Table Corruption and Repair for Paradox Tables

Post by Arro » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

Post by Knut Tvetitan » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >>The Paradox Table Repair Utility is really screwing things up.
> >>My autoincrement key fields get renumbered breaking referential
> >>integrity entirely, and it fails to understand the Ref Ints,
> >>complaining about *.VAL files.  Any advice on fixing tables?

> The commonest cause of corrupting files is switching off without
exiting
> the application. I expect exiting windows without closing the
application
> first can also cause corruption.

There are also two other things that can corrupt files: Disk caching
and, on laptop computers, the combination of power-saving facilities
and 32-bit disk access.

I disk caching is in use, always ensure that the cache is flused
before turning off the computer. Before turning off, exit windows and
wait till all disk activity is finished, plus another 5 seconds to be
safe.

And, ensure that 32-bit Disk Access is turned OFF (in the Windows
Control Panel, double-click the 386 Enhanced icon, push the Vitual
Memory button, then push the Change button, and on the bottom of the
window there is a checkbox for 32-bit disk access).

Good luck!
Knut Tveitane

1. Repairing table corruption

We are looking at moving from a Mysql database setup and we understand
that table corruption in Postgres is a lot less likely but if it does
happen are there built in utilities to repair the tables? Recommended
3rd party products?  Thanks
GW

2. Worked yesterday, failed today

3. Looking for Paradox Informant download-files on Paradox table repair

4. Transferring data from AS/400 to Linux DB2 7.1

5. ADV: tired of those Paradox-table repair calls?

6. Oracle 7.0 Views

7. Compact/Repair Paradox Tables

8. Main Memory Databases reference

9. ADV: ChimneySweep = Paradox table-repair taken to its fullest extent

10. Calling Table Repair in Paradox 5.0?

11. Paradox 7 Table Repair Utility Problem

12. ANNOUNCE: ChimneySweep 1.0 provides automated table-repair for Paradox/BDE databases

13. Repairing Paradox-tables ???