MS Access size limitations

Post by Charle » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 04:41:05

What are the size limitations of MS Access.  I haev heard the MDB start
crapping out around 3 GB.

Does anyone have other experience with hitting a size threshold in ACCESS

MS Access size limitations

Post by Joe » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 05:10:22

> What are the size limitations of MS Access.  I haev heard the MDB start
> crapping out around 3 GB.

128MB for 1.0, 2GB for 1.1 through '97, 4GB for 2K and XP.

Quote:> Does anyone have other experience with hitting a size threshold in ACCESS

That really depends on how well the schema has been designed, what
service packs and patches are installed, and even on whether the
video drivers and network hardware are reliable or a bit flaky!

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans? <http://www.xenu.net/>

MS Access size limitations

Post by Kevi » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 07:30:27

Charles,

According to the Access 2000 help file, and MDB has a size limit of 2
GB.  However this can be expanded by linking in tables from other
MDB's.  Each seperate MDB can be up to 2 GB.  Linked tables do not
affect the 2 GB limit.

At least that is what the Help file indicates.

Kevin

> What are the size limitations of MS Access.  I haev heard the MDB start
> crapping out around 3 GB.

> Does anyone have other experience with hitting a size threshold in ACCESS

MS Access size limitations

Post by Douglas J. Steel » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:43:54

Where'd you get those numbers, Joe?

The Help file for Access 97 is quite explicit (under "specifications,
Microsoft Access"):

"Database (.mdb) file size: 1 gigabyte. However, because your database can
include linked tables in other files, its total size is limited only by
available storage capacity."

I know this was also true for Access 2.0, so I suspect it was for 1.1 and 95
as well.

Similarly, Access 2000 and 2002 are 2 GB, not 4.

You're absolutely right, though, that performance depends on all of those
things. Properly done, one of the regulars reports of an application with
good performance despite being in the 23 GB range (through linking to
multiple MDB files).

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:

> > What are the size limitations of MS Access.  I haev heard the MDB start
> > crapping out around 3 GB.

> 128MB for 1.0, 2GB for 1.1 through '97, 4GB for 2K and XP.

> > Does anyone have other experience with hitting a size threshold in
ACCESS

> That really depends on how well the schema has been designed, what
> service packs and patches are installed, and even on whether the
> video drivers and network hardware are reliable or a bit flaky!

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     On the cans?

<http://www.xenu.net/>
Quote:> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

MS Access size limitations

Post by Joe » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:13:28

Quote:> Where'd you get those numbers, Joe?

> The Help file for Access 97 is quite explicit (under "specifications,
> Microsoft Access"):

D'oh!

<waffle>
Umm, it's what I might have done had I been in charge?  Yeah, yeah,
that's it...  That's the ticket...  They couldn't jump right to 4GB,
since many disk utilities used signed longs, so they'd have gone to
2GB and prepared to switch over to a 4GB limit during the migration
to 32-bit...  No, wait, I'd go straight to full 64-bit file support,
so I could, err, track everything I try out with my girlfriend, uhh,
Morgan Fairchild...  Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket...!
</waffle>

--
Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Got Thetans? <http://www.xenu.net/>

MS Access size limitations

Post by Don P. Mello » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:36:51

<waffle> = <pancake>

Quote:

> > Where'd you get those numbers, Joe?

> > The Help file for Access 97 is quite explicit (under "specifications,
> > Microsoft Access"):

> D'oh!

> <waffle>
> Umm, it's what I might have done had I been in charge?  Yeah, yeah,
> that's it...  That's the ticket...  They couldn't jump right to 4GB,
> since many disk utilities used signed longs, so they'd have gone to
> 2GB and prepared to switch over to a 4GB limit during the migration
> to 32-bit...  No, wait, I'd go straight to full 64-bit file support,
> so I could, err, track everything I try out with my girlfriend, uhh,
> Morgan Fairchild...  Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket...!
> </waffle>

> --
> Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Got Thetans?

<http://www.xenu.net/>

Quote:> WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
coming  to
> because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
ha ha!

MS Access size limitations

Post by Jimmy Kerckhof » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 02:04:11

;-)

--
Jimmy Kerckhofs
Geel, Belgi?

> <waffle> = <pancake>

> > > Where'd you get those numbers, Joe?

> > > The Help file for Access 97 is quite explicit (under "specifications,
> > > Microsoft Access"):

> > D'oh!

> > <waffle>
> > Umm, it's what I might have done had I been in charge?  Yeah, yeah,
> > that's it...  That's the ticket...  They couldn't jump right to 4GB,
> > since many disk utilities used signed longs, so they'd have gone to
> > 2GB and prepared to switch over to a 4GB limit during the migration
> > to 32-bit...  No, wait, I'd go straight to full 64-bit file support,
> > so I could, err, track everything I try out with my girlfriend, uhh,
> > Morgan Fairchild...  Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket...!
> > </waffle>

> > --
> > Joe Foster <mailto:jlfoster%40znet.com>     Got Thetans?
> <http://www.xenu.net/>
> > WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above        They're
> coming  to
> > because  my cats have  apparently  learned to type.        take me away,
> ha ha!

1. Any Limitations on MS Access and MS SQL Server

Hello,

I am now working on a project that have to make decision
on choosing Microsoft Access 97 / 2000 or Microsoft SQL
Server 7.0 as the database.  For more background
information, there is an application run on personal web
server and will connect to a database with using ODBC.

Therefore, I would like to know more about the pros and
cons of them in order to make a right or better choice.

Could anyone tell me about is there any limitation on
Microsoft 97 / 2000 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0?  Such as
the storage limitation, special characters handling.

Thanks and regards,

John

2. selecting 2 groups of random from 1 table..

3. BackOffice Small Business Server MS SQL database total size limitations

4. Help with lost password...

5. Access table size limitations

6. Selecting LONG RAWs

7. What is the size limitation for Access?

8. Strange performance issue - need ideas

9. VB - Access Database Size Limitation

10. MS-Access: Advantages and limitations?

11. Limitation for MS Access?

12. MS-Access: Advantages and limitations?

13. ODBC & MS-Access Limitations