Visual Basic more will be more used as Java?

Visual Basic more will be more used as Java?

Post by Liddl » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 01:30:51

Hello everybody,

I would like the learn how create Internetapplications. I phoned
today an informatic school and asked what was the better
language to learn.

This school told me that it was better to learn Visual Basic as
Java to create Web applications. The reason, Microsoft and Sun
wouln't anymore work together WAppl.

Still now, in every books I had consulted, It was written that
Java is the better language for Web applications and databases.

You are all Java professionals, isn't it? Was could you suggest

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Lidia

Visual Basic more will be more used as Java?

Post by Joe Cos » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 02:08:59

a computer, typing feverishly;
thunder crashed, Liddle

Quote:>Hello everybody,

>I would like the learn how create Internetapplications. I phoned
>today an informatic school and asked what was the better
>language to learn.

>This school told me that it was better to learn Visual Basic as
>Java to create Web applications. The reason, Microsoft and Sun
>wouln't anymore work together WAppl.

>Still now, in every books I had consulted, It was written that
>Java is the better language for Web applications and databases.

If you're going to be working with Microsoft applications, they will
all support visual basic as a control language.  Microsoft SQL Server,
which is a very widely-used application, is usually controlled
primarily through Visual Basic

Java offers broader support.  AFAIK, for instance, you can also use
Java as a control language for MS SQL Server via JDBC.  The same Java
application could then be used with other database systems just by
changing two lines of code, or allowing the user/programmer to enter a
driver name and url in a text-entry block.  The Java application would
run on multiple platforms (useful since the servers that the databases
run on are not necessarily running Windows).

If you're looking for work, either will be very useful for you.

I worked with Visual Basic for years, and I prefer Java.  The
documentation is readily available and clear.  With Visual Basic
getting documentation for how to do something always seemed like an
uphill battle to me.  I find Java easier to work with, more modular.
Just my opinion.
--
Joe Cosby
http://joecosby.home.mindspring.com

Where a calculator on the ENIAC is equipped with 19,000 vacuum
tubes and weighs 30 tons, computers in the future may have only
1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps only weigh 1.5 tons.
- Popular Mechanics, March 1949.

Sig by Kookie Jar 5.98d http://go.to/generalfrenetics/

Visual Basic more will be more used as Java?

Post by Daniel Dittma » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 02:49:38

Nowadays, Internet application means that the server generates some HTML
pages which are then displayed by the Browser. And Visual Basic never really
caught on in this area. So if you're learning Java, don't use courses which
tell about GUI, AWT, Swing. Choose the ones with Servlet, Java Server Pages
and Enterprise Java Beans.

Daniel

--
Daniel Dittmar

SAP DB, SAP Labs Berlin
http://www.sapdb.org/

Visual Basic more will be more used as Java?

Post by Oleg » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 05:10:24

While I like Java much more than VB, I want to disagree with your statement.
Microsoft provides ASP technology that is parellel to the Sun JSP
technology. In an ASP you can use COM components written on many language as
long as they run on Windows. It's sort of like using JavaBeans in JSP that
can run on many platforms but restricted only to 1 language. MTS-aware COM
components are very parallel to EJBs.

Developers want vendors to provide tools to solve their problems.
Developers' demands shape vendors' technologies. It's not a surprise that M$
and $un technologies are so parallel. From this point it's PR and marketing
job to make developers believe that one or another set of technologies suit
their problems better.

Quote:> Nowadays, Internet application means that the server generates some HTML
> pages which are then displayed by the Browser. And Visual Basic never
really
> caught on in this area. So if you're learning Java, don't use courses
which
> tell about GUI, AWT, Swing. Choose the ones with Servlet, Java Server
Pages
> and Enterprise Java Beans.

Visual Basic more will be more used as Java?

Post by kevinator.. » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 05:23:42

The other guys are on the money. One thing to keep in mind is that Java
is platform independent. For Sun, this is great marketing. You can
develop on windows and deploy on unix or linux without recompiling.
VB only runs on Windows. Companies choose this solution because they
trust Microsoft but UNIX and linux are more stable platforms for larger
application.
I would suggest learning java but VB is definitely easier to learn. For
web stuff, you should look into asp, php (http://www.php.net) or perl.
Java isn't always the best way to go for web stuff. .. .

> Hello everybody,

> I would like the learn how create Internetapplications. I phoned
> today an informatic school and asked what was the better
> language to learn.

> This school told me that it was better to learn Visual Basic as
> Java to create Web applications. The reason, Microsoft and Sun
> wouln't anymore work together WAppl.

> Still now, in every books I had consulted, It was written that
> Java is the better language for Web applications and databases.

> You are all Java professionals, isn't it? Was could you suggest

> Thanks a lot

> Regards,

> Lidia

Sent via Deja.com