VB3.0 / Access 2.0 OLE Question

Post by r.. » Fri, 09 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,
        I am nearly finished writing a VB front end for an Access 2.0
database, but I still have one nagging problem that I have ignored up
until now.
The Access database has 5 tables, one of which has an OLE Object
field.
Is it possible to detect that this field is an OLE rather than text
etc. (pesumably by testing if it is type 11, a long binary) and then
if this is detected, assign this long binary to an OLE control already
present on the form but unassigned.
If this is possible how the hell do I do it ?

Any help gratefully received

Rich

VB3.0 / Access 2.0 OLE Question

Post by r.. » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,
        I am nearly finished writing a VB front end for an Access 2.0
database, but I still have one nagging problem that I have ignored up
until now.
The Access database has 5 tables, one of which has an OLE Object
field.
Is it possible to detect that this field is an OLE rather than text
etc. (pesumably by testing if it is type 11, a long binary) and then
if this is detected, assign this long binary to an OLE control already
present on the form but unassigned.
If this is possible how the hell do I do it ?

Any help gratefully received

Rich

VB3.0 / Access 2.0 OLE Question

Post by Clyde Davi » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>The Access database has 5 tables, one of which has an OLE Object
>field.
>Is it possible to detect that this field is an OLE rather than text
>etc. (pesumably by testing if it is type 11, a long binary) and then
>if this is detected, assign this long binary to an OLE control already
>present on the form but unassigned.

This is a real swine of a problem in VB 3.0 as it doesn't recognise Access OLE
fields.  VB 4.0 does as it has a data-bound OLE container control.  The best
source of code for dealing wiht an Access OLE field is Roger Jennings'
"Database Developers Guide with Visual Basic 3,0" by Sams Publishing.
Pages 645 onwards describe the storage method for OLE object fields and give
the code (of which there is an awful lot) for manipulating objects

Clyde Davies

1. VB3/Access 2.0 OLE Objects

I need help with a small problem I have reading Access OLE Fields into
OLE controls on a VB3 form.  I am able to unwrap the object from the
Access table and store it into the OLE object on the form.  However
there are 9 records shown on the form.  This takes alot of time to
unwrap the field, write it out to a file and create the object from
the file.

All I realy need to do is show the objects' icons in the OLE control
since I will be manually activating the OLE objects in VB and can
unwrap the intire object using code as they are needed.  This way I
can use an internal Object class for the program to handle image file
links for a medical record system.

I would appreciate any help with this question.

Thanks,

Software Applications, Inc.

 _
(_  +   _     _  _
 _) |_ [= \/ [= ] | . . .

                                  .,.
                                 (o o)
 +---------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo----------------------------+

2. Execution times

3. DAO to ADO

4. Accessing Access 2.0 database with VB3, ODBC 2.0 and Microsotf Jet Engine Compatibility Layer

5. n to n relation in dimension

6. VB3/Access 2.0 Stupid Beginner Question

7. Log shipping configuration question

8. Help: Problem reading Access 2.0 mdb from VB3 under Win95/Access 7.0

9. Install VB3.0 -> Access 2.0 comlyr.exe

10. VB3 with Access 2.0

11. VB3 / Access 2.0 problem with data lengths