Connecting to Oracle Database server from Applet

Connecting to Oracle Database server from Applet

Post by Mike Taylo » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

if an applet can only communicate with the host from which it was
downloaded, how is it possible to connect to a database server that is
located separate from the web server?

In our scenairo the database server is located behind the firewall and we
certainly wouldn't want to store the data on our web server.

Connecting to Oracle Database server from Applet

Post by dala » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Either sign you applet so it will have additional priviledges or create
a "server" process (socket based,servlet based,etc) that runs on your
web server to serve as the intermediary between the applet and the database.

--
Ciao,
Michel

Post by Joseph Weinstei » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> if an applet can only communicate with the host from which it was
> downloaded, how is it possible to connect to a database server that is
> located separate from the web server?

> In our scenairo the database server is located behind the firewall and we
> certainly wouldn't want to store the data on our web server.

Hi Mike. You need a type-3 driver. A type-3 driver is all Java, like a type-4,
so it can be used in applets, but it doesn't connect *directly* to the DBMS.
Instead, it connects to an accompanying middle-tier which acts as a proxy,
connecting to the DBMS (using a type-2, type-4 JDBC driver or whatever, maybe
even vendor-specific C calls), and ferries your applet requests to the DBMS(se),
and sends results back to the applet.
   This middle tier component *does* have to run on the webserver but it is free
to connect to any DBMS anywhere. Some smart middle-tire components (like WebLogic)
can do a lot more. The protocol between client applet and the middle-tier can be
secure (SSL or HTTPS to cross anyone's firewalls), and can supply connection
pooling for speed and management etc. The middle tier can even run queries
asynchronously to client requests, caching and sharing frequently needed data
so the DBMS is not burdened with multiple repeat queries from all the clients.

Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of WebLogic

--

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is in S.F., and now has some entry-level positions for
people who want to work with Java and E-Commerce infrastructure products. Send

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture
               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm

1. connect a Java applet to an Oracle database

Hi, I have a data base ORACLE 8.0.3 on a machine SUN with the
operating system UNIX Solaris SunOS 5.6. I wish to be able to reach
this base since autonomous a JAVA application or an applet from a
station customer. An example of JAVA application allowing the
connection and the passage of requests on the basis can be found on
this site (http://www.datatransformations.com/downloadframeset.htm).
The tool to be charged is Granger Java SQL. Connections to the distant
data bases are carried out thanks to a series of classes JAVA  JDBC.
According to the data base reached it is also necessary to have a
specific driver. I want to set up a solution which is independent of
the machine customer (Mac, PC). I would thus like:
- to seek information necessary to the installation, the configuration
and the parameter settings of the various components necessary to the
setting in uvre.
- to recover the various components on the Net.
Lot of thanks

2. ActiveX Documents/DAO/Distribution - Please Browse This...

3. Problem connecting to a database server from a signed applet with JDBC

4. Randy.Shlifer@mail.tju.edu

5. Applet connecting to Oracle database

6. Cursors , Commit and ODBC

7. URGENT, problems with connecting from applet to database on server

8. Oracle8i Licensing on Linux

9. connecting to an oracle database via an applet

10. Applet connecting to Oracle database

11. Connecting SQL Server 7 database to Oracle Database Server

12. Connecting to a database from an applet

13. Want my applet to connect to a database