Excel formula syntax

Post by tonybr.. » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I am trying to sum a series of rows in a column using VB and starting Excel
from the VB code.

I can do it OK if I set the values passed through as numbers e.g.

offset -6 to -1. The problem occurs when I don't know how many rows I've got
to add.

I keep a row counter in VB so I know where I started and I know where I have
got to but I don't know how to get Excel to accept this in a formula. When I

row_start and row_now but when it is stored in the Excel current cell it
gives an error because the variables do not have values.

Is there some way I can overcome this. I've thought of the following

1. Store the row nos in a cell (but then I don't know the syntax to
substitute the values)
2. try and define a variable in Excel and set that - but again not sure how
to do this.

Is there just a simple way to use the syntax to make Excel take the right
values.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can suggest an answer would you

and the request is quite urgent.

Thanks in Advance

Best Regards

Tony Brown

Excel formula syntax

Post by Jim Finni » Sun, 12 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Not sure if I have understood, but try something like:

            Set rngRange1 = .Range("A1", .Range("A1").End(xlDown))
            strRange1 = rngRange1.Address

JSF

> I am trying to sum a series of rows in a column using VB and starting Excel
> from the VB code.

> I can do it OK if I set the values passed through as numbers e.g.

> offset -6 to -1. The problem occurs when I don't know how many rows I've got
> to add.

> I keep a row counter in VB so I know where I started and I know where I have
> got to but I don't know how to get Excel to accept this in a formula. When I

> row_start and row_now but when it is stored in the Excel current cell it
> gives an error because the variables do not have values.

> Is there some way I can overcome this. I've thought of the following

> 1. Store the row nos in a cell (but then I don't know the syntax to
> substitute the values)
> 2. try and define a variable in Excel and set that - but again not sure how
> to do this.

> Is there just a simple way to use the syntax to make Excel take the right
> values.

> If anyone knows what I'm talking about and can suggest an answer would you

> and the request is quite urgent.

> Thanks in Advance

> Best Regards

> Tony Brown

1. MDX syntax within Custom Member Formulas

We are pretty far along, by trial and error, in an Analysis Services
implementation.

We are replacing Oracle Express and OFA with Analysis Services.  So we
need MANY custom member formulas.

I would appreciate any resource which could provide me with correct
syntax for generating results within a Custom Member Formula, entered
directly through the Dimension Browser, NOT as part of a full MDX
query statement.

I have found MANY resources which show how MDX works as a QUERY
language. I have had no luck finding resources and examples for all
the MDX functions within the context of a custom member formula,
directly entered into the dimension browser.

We have had a great deal of success with many functions, but only
through trying many different approaches.  MSDN has been of little
help, since all the MDX examples seem to be geared for writing a full
query, not just a formula though the dimension edit functionality.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glen Moser

2. What are the steps to add information in a table

3. How to: Use the syntax to create a formula in a table column property

4. Reposition Events When Deleting

5. Problem with Excel formulas using Visual Basic 6

6. VFP5.0: Files needed for distribution? Urgent!

7. Excel formulas

8. XQLLogin with Pervasive.2000 Client

9. Convert Excel formula to update DTS package

10. excel formula

11. Excel 2000 Formula help

12. newbie question how to convert Excel formula

13. How can we read excel(.xls) data, formula, formatting in Java