Ping to SQL Server

Post by Anant Josh » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

I am modifying existing application for remote access which uses
CT Library to access SQL Server.
We have set timeout for remote access. If there is no activity
for n minits, the link is dropped. If new request is made, then
attempt is made to establish the link and then send the packet.
When application attempts to send the request while link is
dropped, the processor is hold up by CT Lib call. So there is no
chance for remote access software to reactivate the link.

What are my alternatives to avoid this Catch-22 situation.

Can I ping the server before sending the request. If ping
returns success, then send the request. If not then wait for
some time (to allow for reactivating the link) and try again.
How can I ping the server from VB Application?

Thanks

- Anant

1. Ping to SQL Server

I am modifying existing application for remote access which uses
CT Library to access SQL Server.
We have set timeout for remote access. If there is no activity
for n minits, the link is dropped. If new request is made, then
attempt is made to establish the link and then send the packet.
When application attempts to send the request while link is
dropped, the processor is hold up by CT Lib call. So there is no
chance for remote access software to reactivate the link.

What are my alternatives to avoid this Catch-22 situation.

Can I ping the server before sending the request. If ping
returns success, then send the request. If not then wait for
some time (to allow for reactivating the link) and try again.
How can I ping the server from VB Application?

Thanks

- Anant

2. Database comparison

3. how to store the results of ping into sql server

4. Sorted dBase on multiple fields

5. Great resource for SQL Admin.

6. Can PING a SQL server but can't connect.

7. NT Service Pack 4

8. ping sql server

9. Is there a SQL Server database remote ping?

10. server ping how-to

11. Pinging Servers

12. Is it possible to make a Ping server =>client