VB6: Data Environment & SQL Server 6.5

Post by Lorenz » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi!
When I use VB6's Data Environment Designer with SQL Server 6.5, I can't do
the following operations:

1) Create a stored procedure usign the toolbar command
2) Use named parameters in stored procedures or SQL text queries
3) Use the Design mode without getting an error the firs time I drag&drop a
Table from Data Connection Dialog
4) Manage OUTPUT parameters without writing ADO code manually
5) Manage return values from Stored Procedures
6) Debugging T-SQL in stored procedures called using unnamed parameters in
text SQL query (like EXEC sp_mysp ?,?,?,?)

Nothing more?
If you know how to resolve any of these problems, please email me!!!

Lorenzo Maiorfi
Sinfor s.r.l.
web:www.sinfor.it

VB6: Data Environment & SQL Server 6.5

Post by Rob O'Farrel » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

You should try using the Data Object Wizard to generate a Data Class object
for the Data Environment Command.  If nothing else it will give you a TON of
code that shows you how to do most of the below tasks.

To do this, launch the Data Object Wizard Add-In from the project that
contains the Data Environment Command object.  Start by 'creating a class'
and on the next step you can select your Data Environment Command object.
Follow through the rest of the steps identifying and FK lookup information,
Persistence information (insert/update/delete) parameter info and mappings
and then press 'finish'.  You will see a Data Class generated that can be
simple bound or set as the consumer for a complex bound object such as the
Data Grid.  If you want to you can launch the Data Object Wizard again and
instead of creating a Class you can now create a User Control based on the
Class that was just created.  Select the DOW generated Data Class, select
the type of control you want to create (Grid, Single Record, etc) and press
finish.  You will now have a UserControl bound to the Data Class.

Again, if nothing else you will get a TON of code to get you moving along.

Hope this helps!

Rob O'Farrell

http://www.ocipro.com

>Hi!
>When I use VB6's Data Environment Designer with SQL Server 6.5, I can't do
>the following operations:

>1) Create a stored procedure usign the toolbar command
>2) Use named parameters in stored procedures or SQL text queries
>3) Use the Design mode without getting an error the firs time I drag&drop a
>Table from Data Connection Dialog
>4) Manage OUTPUT parameters without writing ADO code manually
>5) Manage return values from Stored Procedures
>6) Debugging T-SQL in stored procedures called using unnamed parameters in
>text SQL query (like EXEC sp_mysp ?,?,?,?)

>Nothing more?
>If you know how to resolve any of these problems, please email me!!!

>Lorenzo Maiorfi
>Sinfor s.r.l.
>web:www.sinfor.it

1. VB6 Data Environment & Data Report

i have 2 questions to ask.  one about the Data Environment, and one about
the Data Report.

1. in the data environment i have built a connection, and a command object.
the command object is using a SQL Statement to create a recordset.  my
question is how can i pass a variable into this SQL Select like i would in a
recordsource.  such as:

"SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Field = '" & Variable & "'"

i want to do this because i often want to search something like a customer
table for a specific Last Name the user enters.  i hope this is possible to
do.

2.  in a data report how can i print only the selected record in a
recordset.  such as if i have an employee recordset and i want to print info
for just one of say 10 employees, how would that be acomplished?

if anyone can help me that would be great.  thanks.

Guy

2. c code for a informix library-need help!

3. SQL Server 6.5 & VB6 ADO

4. Embedded SQL grammar??

5. Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

6. script for database-shutdown/restart

7. Help! Sharing Paradox tables in multi-user system

8. DATA ENVIRONMENT in VB6 with SQL SERVER

9. VB6/SQL Server 7 problem - VB Data Environment

10. Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

11. SQL Server connection VB6 Data Environment