Creating mail merge letters in the VB environment...

Creating mail merge letters in the VB environment...

Post by IFANBLA » Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:10:50

Hi all:

I'm stomped.  How duplicate MS Word's mail merge ability from within the VB 6
environment.  I want my application to provide a means for the user to create
mail merge letters.  It should be assumed that the user will not MS Office
installed on their computer.  Thanks in advance.
Terence

Creating mail merge letters in the VB environment...

Post by Steven Bras [M » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 08:15:01

Without Office installed, you will need to write, from scratch, all the
mailmerge functionality. First, the ability to store and retrieve names,
addresses and any other data you want in the document. Second, a
rudimentary word processor to take input if that's something you want to
allow the user to do. Without purchasing any third-party controls, this
would be a very large effort. You would be better off having Office
installed and simply automating Word.

There are, however, third-party word-processing controls that might expose
mailmerge capability, although I don't know of one offhand. Hope this helps!

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

Creating mail merge letters in the VB environment...

Post by IFANBLA » Thu, 02 May 2002 00:40:23

Thank you, Mr. Bras:

Would MS wordpad have this ability (like third party controls or MS Office that
you've suggested)?

Thank you again, Terence

Creating mail merge letters in the VB environment...

Post by Steven Bras [M » Thu, 02 May 2002 01:38:30

No, I'm afraid WordPad does not expose an interface for automation, unlike
Word.

Steven Bras, MCSD
Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

1. Faxing out Reports (mail merge letters) based on answer table

Hi Fellow Paradox Experts,

I am working on an app where my answer table will yield the name,
address, fax#, and other pertinent info which is merged into a report
made to look like a letter. I have Delrina WinFax Pro 4.0 and was
wondering if there is a way to have that program pick up the names and
fax #'s to fax these reports (letters) to, by using an ascii export
from Paradox and and ascii import in WinFax.

Has anyone successfully accomplished this?

Thanks for any help.

Joanne K.

2. DTS Package Log

3. Creating an e-mail merge file

4. I-Net problem

5. VB Sql Server to Word Mail Merge

6. ADO Control and problem rebinding textbox to new database

7. Mail Merge and VB SQL source??

8. Multiple Inserts Within One Stored Procedure?

9. VB / SQL / Mail Merge Problem

10. Creating and Using Oracle Packages from the VB 6 Environment

11. Paradox 4.5 and Mail Merges and Mailing Labels

12. Merge Letters using a Form

13. merge letter into word using several different filemaker files