Applet, JDBC-ODBC and MS ACCESS and MS SQL server

Applet, JDBC-ODBC and MS ACCESS and MS SQL server

Post by bzh.. » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to develop an applet to access our database over our
intranet. I can pre-install any JDBC or JDBC-ODBC drivers on the
computer that will use this applet.

It seems to me it is not going to work if my applet wants to access a
MS access database unless I install an application server on the
machine running access.

I know if I use a pure JDBC driver, my applet could access the MS SQL
server provided that my Web Server and my MS SQL server are running on
same machine (without installing application server). But if I instead
use JDBC-ODBC driver, will my applet work? Any one has any successful
story with applet, JDBC-ODBC and MS SQL server?

Is it really true, without installing application server, my web
server and MS SQL server must be on same machine?

Thanks

Bing

Applet, JDBC-ODBC and MS ACCESS and MS SQL server

Post by David Murph » Wed, 28 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Bing - I would reword your conclusion slightly differently..

If you need to get to Access from an applet on a remote machine then the
machine where Access is installed must have some sort of middleware to
process JDBC network requests. That is simply because Access is not network
enabled - IE its really just a desktop database. That also means you cannot
use the JDBC-ODBC bridge.

With SQLServer (which is networkable) you could use the JDBC-ODBC bridge but
you would have to install the SQL Server ODBC drivers on every workstation,
which again is not the ideal solutiion..

In either case you could use JDataConnect (www.softsyn.com) that enables
Access for web applications and enables zero client side install for db's
like SQL Server.

David Murphy
Software Synergy
www.softsyn.com

Quote:> I am trying to develop an applet to access our database over our

Post by Sergei Gnezdo » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> It seems to me it is not going to work if my applet wants to access a
> MS access database unless I install an application server on the
> machine running access.

I have the same problem.  IMHO JDBC-ODBC driver is type I driver and
cannot be used in applets.  On the site, from which applet was loaded
must be some sort of middle ware and type III or IV driver should be used.
It looks like that RmiJdbc should work.
What do you think about all this?

1. JDBC-ODBC MS Access to Applet (security poblem)

I`d like to access over a JDBC-ODBC-Bridge to a MS Access 2000 Database via
an Applet. The Applet is able to connect to the Database if i run it at the
Appletviewer at the Server-Machine but I have a Java-Security Exception if I
would like to run it from a Client machine (also with Appletviewer).
The fault will be, that the Applet needs some "trust" at the client - but I
don't know how to do this (which classes, where to get a Certificate)... I
really have no idea.
Please give me help and if possible please give me some code examples!!

regards,
Andi

Mag. Andreas Auinger
Department of Business Information System
Communications Engieering
Freist?dterstr. 315
4040 Linz
Phone: +43/732/2468-7103
Fax: +43/732/2468/7111

2. Internet Quality Assurance

3. jdbc/odbc driver and ms-access with an applet

4. Extremly Poor performance of SQLEE7

5. JDBC-Like pure java class to connect to Ms Sql Server or Ms Access

6. Codebase & TRichEdit

7. Oracle JDBC Thin Applet + MS IE: SecurityException accessing jdbc.drivers system property

8. Stored Procedure Question

9. Connecting to MS SQL Server 6.5 via MS Access 97 and ODBC

10. Applet to MS SQL Server 6.5 via JDBC