Reserved error (-8261) - no message?

Post by Shane Callagh » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I am working on a database application that is giving me an error
message that I cannot figure out.  The message occurs after I enter
some data into some textboxes bound to a data control.  The data
control is bound to a table in an Access database using the Jet
engine.

The problem occurs when I click a button that calls the line:
        data1.recordset.AddNew
and generates a new identifier for the record which is placed in one
textbox.  I then fill in the three required fields ( of 10 fields
total ).  When I click the "update" button, an error message appears.
The "update" button calls the line
        data1.recordset.update
which is what generates the error.

The Message is "Reserved error (-8261); there is no message for this
error." and the data is not entered into the table.  I am sure that I
am not missing required fields as the same data can be entered into
the table through Access.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Please send any

Thanx in advance!

Scott

Shane T. Callaghan, CA
Manager of Information Systems, Halifax District School Board
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by J. Boyd Nolan, » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I am working on a database application that is giving me an error
>message that I cannot figure out.  The message occurs after I enter
>some data into some textboxes bound to a data control.  The data
>control is bound to a table in an Access database using the Jet
>engine.
>The problem occurs when I click a button that calls the line:
>    data1.recordset.AddNew
>and generates a new identifier for the record which is placed in one
>textbox.  I then fill in the three required fields ( of 10 fields
>total ).  When I click the "update" button, an error message appears.
>The "update" button calls the line
>    data1.recordset.update
>which is what generates the error.
>The Message is "Reserved error (-8261); there is no message for this
>error." and the data is not entered into the table.  I am sure that I
>am not missing required fields as the same data can be entered into
>the table through Access.
>Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Please send any

>Thanx in advance!
>Scott
>Shane T. Callaghan, CA
>Manager of Information Systems, Halifax District School Board
>Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

This is what the knowledge base says your error is:

-8261 Field '|' can't contain a null value.

In Access, you can set the properties on fields as to whether zero
length (null) values are allowed or not.  You are trying to add a
record which has a null value in an attribute for which Access says
zero length records are not allowed.

HTH!

--
J. Boyd Nolan, PE

Voice:(405) 739-1916    FAX:(405) 739-1095
Boeing Aerospace Operations

Post by Mark Bureau x66 » Tue, 24 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>The Message is "Reserved error (-8261); there is no message for this
>>error." and the data is not entered into the table.  I am sure that I
>>am not missing required fields as the same data can be entered into
>>the table through Access.

>This is what the knowledge base says your error is:

>-8261 Field '|' can't contain a null value.

        BTW:  The MS Access 2.0 Knowledge Base contains information
        on all of the Reserved Errors.

        Pull it down from Microsoft ftp site.

| ph (404)810-6623  fax (404)810-6153| with God all things are possible."|
-------------------------------------------**Matthew 19:26**--------------

1. Reserved Error -8261 - Need Urgent Help

Hi, Sorry If this has already been discussed before but,

Ive run into a problem with the access 2 compatibility layer
and what probably is a general problem.

Ive got a masked edit box that is bound to an access 2 database.
The field that it is bound to is part of the key of the table im
accessing. Ive also got a data aware grid hooked up to the same
data control that the masked edit is bound to (so the user can click
in the data grid, and the data is displayed in the text box.
Because the field is part of a key - it cannot be left blank.

If the user leaves the field blank - then I try to catch them doing
by when the lost focus event occurs I check to see if the field is
blank - if it is I display a msgbox and return the focus to the
text box. However, if the user losses the focus on the text box
by clicking in the data grid - the error "reserved error -8261"
occurs. I looked up the Microsft Knowledge base for this and as
you would expect the error translates to "cant have this field with
null in it".
It seems that when I click in the data grid, the current record is
changing and hence VB tries to update the empty field.

What can I do to avoid this seemingly trivial problem? I cant find
where to trap the reserved error. I dont want to have to redesign
the user interaction. The user ought to be able to click in the
data grid and just be told to enter something in the text box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Martin Kay

| Martin Kay                      | email:                 |

| Victoria University,            |                        |

2. Standby Database Question

3. Reserved error -8261

4. multiple column names

5. What's reserved error -8261

6. Test...

7. VB Error - (-8261)

8. Using the 'DIRECT=Y' switch with export

9. Error -8261 on second Data1.RecordSet.AddNew

10. Reserved Error (-8261) , Obj. Var. not set ?

11. Cure for Error Message - "Reserved Error (-3034); there is no message for this error"

12. Reserved error (-1601) no description for this error