Force writing to harddisk

Post by Thomas M. Schmic » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi!=20
=20
My application works with Delphi2.0 and Paradox7, and=20
I noticed, that records, even when they are postet, are not written=20
onto HD. F. ex. if the application hangs up (like it does sometimes in=20
developement-stage),=20
the added records are not physically on HD.=20
There must be some kind of BDE-caching inbetween.=20
=20
How can I force the BDE to write the things onto disk ???=20
Maybe there is some kind of BDE-Api-Call ???=20
=20

Force writing to harddisk

Post by R.Anna » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>My application works with Delphi2.0 and Paradox7, and
>I noticed, that records, even when they are postet, are not written
>onto HD. F. ex. if the application hangs up (like it does sometimes in
>developement-stage),
>the added records are not physically on HD.
>There must be some kind of BDE-caching inbetween.

>How can I force the BDE to write the things onto disk ???
>Maybe there is some kind of BDE-Api-Call ???

As far as I know, the standard treatment is to do a dbiSaveChanges
in the Application's OnIdle event (which you have to set up manually;
it's not too hard :)  The app will then use the idle time to commit
the records to disk.

  --=- Ritchie Annand

Force writing to harddisk

Post by Trey Campbel » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

> My application works with Delphi2.0 and Paradox7, and
> I noticed, that records, even when they are postet, are not written
> onto HD. F. ex. if the application hangs up (like it does sometimes in
> developement-stage),
> the added records are not physically on HD.
> There must be some kind of BDE-caching inbetween.

> How can I force the BDE to write the things onto disk ???
> Maybe there is some kind of BDE-Api-Call ???

What you're looking for is dbiSaveChanges. You can find it in the online
help.

--
Trey Campbell

Home page at http://www.softdisk.com/customer/campbell

Force writing to harddisk

Post by Pascal Dutilleu » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> As far as I know, the standard treatment is to do a dbiSaveChanges
> in the Application's OnIdle event (which you have to set up manually;
> it's not too hard :)  The app will then use the idle time to commit
> the records to disk.

or in OnAfterPost

ing. Pascal Dutilleul

* software engineer (also via internet)

Force writing to harddisk

Post by jefsumm.. » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>My application works with Delphi2.0 and Paradox7, and
>>I noticed, that records, even when they are postet, are not written
>>onto HD. F. ex. if the application hangs up (like it does sometimes in
>>developement-stage),
>>the added records are not physically on HD.
>>There must be some kind of BDE-caching inbetween.

>>How can I force the BDE to write the things onto disk ???
>>Maybe there is some kind of BDE-Api-Call ???

>As far as I know, the standard treatment is to do a dbiSaveChanges
>in the Application's OnIdle event (which you have to set up manually;
>it's not too hard :)  The app will then use the idle time to commit
>the records to disk.

Even that seems not to work consistently.  What I have found is that I need to close the database and reopen it.  Messy, but it works.  If the app is designed with this in mind from the start it isn't that hard, either.

Force writing to harddisk

Post by Joe C. Hech » Fri, 28 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

> My application works with Delphi2.0 and Paradox7, and
> I noticed, that records, even when they are postet, are not written
> onto HD. F. ex. if the application hangs up (like it does sometimes in
> developement-stage),
> the added records are not physically on HD.
> There must be some kind of BDE-caching inbetween.

> How can I force the BDE to write the things onto disk ???
> Maybe there is some kind of BDE-Api-Call ???

Download:

Ti2953 - BDE: Writing Buffer to Disk

from our web site. You can get it in the Delphi Technical Support
Section.

Joe
--
Joe C. Hecht