Servlet and Applet Communication

Post by Ken Cho » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Dear all,

I am new in Java programming and I am now studying the way of doing my
research
project where the whole architecture will be using the servlet thin client
to fetch the
data from the database and the fetched data will be sent to the client front
end (applet) for manipulation.

                  jdbc
Database <----------> Servlet <-------------> Applet

How to pass the data from servlet to applet ?  is there any sample program ?
many thanks..

Ken

Post by Davor Cengi » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Dear all,

> I am new in Java programming and I am now studying the way of doing my
> research
> project where the whole architecture will be using the servlet thin client
> to fetch the
> data from the database and the fetched data will be sent to the client front
> end (applet) for manipulation.

>                   jdbc
> Database <----------> Servlet <-------------> Applet

> How to pass the data from servlet to applet ?  is there any sample program ?
> many thanks..

        Yes, ThinSQL on www.kgo.de

Davor Cengija

============================
"Nicht in die Augen bringen"

Servlet and Applet Communication

Post by Shannon Hicke » Wed, 29 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Depending on how complex the data is being passed between applet and
servlet, you may want to try using an object output stream on the servlet
and an object input stream on the applet.  This will allow you to actually
pass serialized java objects (such as vectors) between the servlet and
applet.  Check out your web server though as some web servers may only allow
servlets to produce text output.

Good Luck,
Shannon Hickey

Quote:> Dear all,