dbcombo - can't pick off the list

Post by John Cli » Mon, 10 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hi folk. I've got a coupld of dbcombo controls that I am wanting to use a pick
lists.  One of them is a ties to a dynaset data control while the other ties to
a snapshot data control

The point is, that when I was developing the app. on what became the server
machine for the site, I was able to freely pick from both lists with no
problems.

Once the app. was moved to the client machine, however, I cannot pick any thing
from the list except the first item in the list. When I click on one of the
members of the list I just get a short beep without making the member the
current selection. I can freely type in the member in the db's text box, and,
if the text that I type in is in the data base table, the app. will accept it.

The only difference I can see is that when I was doing development, the
database file was on the drive that is local to the app. whereas when the app.
is running for real, then the database file is on a network drive. I've
attempted to change the path of the data controls to point to the network drive
in using different syntaxs (such as calling it d:\whever\database.mbf or
\\whatever\database.mbf) but, while it doesn't gripe, and the data is in the
list, I still can't pick it with the mouse. Other controls, including a dbgrid
I'm using in the app, work fine.

Any ideas?  I appreciate all your help.

Post by Philippe D. Nav » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> [...]

> The point is, that when I was developing the app. on what became the server
> machine for the site, I was able to freely pick from both lists with no
> problems.

> Once the app. was moved to the client machine, however, I cannot pick any thing
> from the list except the first item in the list. When I click on one of the
> members of the list I just get a short beep without making the member the
> current selection. I can freely type in the member in the db's text box, and,
> if the text that I type in is in the data base table, the app. will accept it.

> [...]

Is the list sitting on a modal form? There's a known bug that acts like
this; if the form containing the DBList or DBCombo is modal, the pick
list will work in the VB development environment but not as a standalone
.EXE. There's a workaround somewhere in one of the Knowledge Bases or
something; I just shrugged and came up with a way to code the form as
non-modal when I hit this bug.

Philippe D. Nave, Jr. | We're sorry - all our .sigs are busy right now.
Denver, Colorado USA  | Please re-read this message, and the next available