Monitoring another program using VB4.0 - HELP

Monitoring another program using VB4.0 - HELP

Post by Michael J. Agosti » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

I am writing a login program which can be set-up to execute in front
of another application.  The VB program askes for a name, etc. and then
saves that data to a data base and then launches the target software.

I've got that done, no big deal.  What I need now though is some way
to monitor the target application.  I need to tell:
        1) When the application is exited.
        2) If the application has been dormant for 'x' number of minutes.

This is so that I can actually have a prayer of expecting people to logout.
I don't need anything as serious as full code, just a direction to head
in the help files.

I've heard lots of "Something with the OLE's I think..."  but that has
not been much help.  From what I have seen, OLE's are good for being
able to embedding objects from Word, or whatever, but nothing for checking
on the condition of another executable.

Thank-you in advance.

Mike

--
Michael "Augie" Agostini       |  /m/|  Michigan Technological University

(906)487-6949                  |/u/  |  5th Year / Senior

Post by Bill » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I am writing a login program which can be set-up to execute in front
> of another application.  The VB program askes for a name, etc. and then
> saves that data to a data base and then launches the target software.

> I've got that done, no big deal.  What I need now though is some way
> to monitor the target application.  I need to tell:
>         1) When the application is exited.
>         2) If the application has been dormant for 'x' number of minutes.

  [snip]

> Thank-you in advance.

> Mike

Hello there,

  A windows API function called GetModuleUsage will let you determine when a shelled
  program has terminated.  As far as app being dormant - got me on that one.

Good luck

Bill.

1. Help Using VB4.0 - Trying to open database using Dynaset in Dim Statment

Hi Anybody,

        I am having trouble in VB 4.0. The book called Database Programming with
visual Basic 4.0 tells me to enter this...

Dim dat as Database
Dim dyn1 as dynaset
Dim dyn2 as dynaset

Dim cDbname As String
Dim cRecSource As String
Dim nRecs As Integer
Dim cFilter As String

cDbName = App.Path + "\Books.mdb"
cRecSource = "Titles"
cFilter = "[Year Published]>1990"

Set dat = OpenDatabase(cDbName)
Set dyn1 = dat.CreateDynaset(cRecSource)

dyn1.Movelast
nRecs = dyn1.RecordCount
MsgBox cRecSource + ....

I get an error on the Dim statement using Dynaset with VB4.0

Why?????  and How should i create a dynaset using vb4.0 .

Thanks

Jim M.

2. OleBoundControl With WIN98

3. Please help! database programming in VB4

4. Local cube as an input data for MS OLAP

5. Help with good book for database programming with VB4

6. Foxbase and above - where to?

7. 'Help-Find'-style interface for vb4 programmed database search

8. US-CA-LA/Glendale:ORACLE Developer/Designer and PL/SQL-C Programmer Needed.

9. help me get MY PROGRAM TO PLAY SOUND VB4.0

10. Help!! VB4 - dBase programming

11. Open help file from vb4 program?

12. Monitor SQL Server Memory Usage Using NT Performance Monitor

13. Monitor free space of disk using systems monitor