Open Source examples of good design/programming practice?[Java]

Open Source examples of good design/programming practice?[Java]

Post by otier.. » Fri, 19 May 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone suggest some open source examples of good design/programming
practice preferably in Java?

I suppose http://sourceforge.net/ and http://www.gjt.org projects are
the most accessible.

Turloch O'Tierney

www.geocities.com/totierne

Background:
I have done 6 years commercial coding, but this has mostly been in
maintaining rather than design and development. In Applepie Solutions
(www.applepiesolutions.com) we are developing a new sms messaging system
(for GSM mobile phones) and I want to learn from previous (good)
practice. We are using Linux, java1.2 and UML and we intend to use the
following rough coding standards:

Thinking in java is pretty good, even if you just skip to the end

for the don'ts!
http://www.bruceeckel.com/TIJ2/index.html
[a critical report on the above]
http://www.softpanorama.org/Lang/Java/Tijplus/index.shtml

java faq
http://www.afu.com/javafaq.html

It does seem to make sense to document, describe  or even code unit
tests
ahead of implementation.

I am not sure if there is middleware we can put in the middle instead of
rolling our own threads etc. (say for example services are spread across
machines) I suppose if it is behind interfaces the implementation can be
easily changed.

jlint - java version of lint
http://www.ispras.ru/~knizhnik/jlint/ReadMe.htm

junit - simple unit testing framework
http://artemis.austinc.edu/acad/mathcs/cs/classes/cs56/junit32.zip

gnu make - because it is familiar

javadoc guideline:

suns coding standards:
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html

javadoc home page
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/javadoc/index.html

jindent
freeware jindent download
http://bec.tucows.com/java/adnload/dljindent.html
[later commercial version available]

perl type regular expressions:
http://www.savarese.org/oro/downloads/index.html
[we can use as part of our product for free there is some licensing
restrictions eg no source]

I suggest we standardise on jdk 1.2.2 and borland jbuilder
http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/foundation/ if we need a non emacs/text
editor tool for builds though emacs does have jdb mode and jde

http://sunsite.auc.dk/jde/

example commented file from
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/html/18.doc.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Best Open Source (Free) Java Report Writing Tool?

I tried out Jasper Reports and it seems to work pretty well except for
a few minor bugs and lacking documentation. You have to write an XML
file and there's no drag-drop gui tool to design the report though
there are some gui tools that make it a bit easier to modify the XML
file.

But I'm wondering what are your favorite free/open-source reporting
tools as far as balance between power/flexibility and ease-of-use.

2. VFP 6.0 Pivot Table Wizard - Can I use this at runtime without FoxPro?

3. Best practice to optimise big updates (repost, rewritten with example)

4. US-NY: new york-Java, Oracle, Weblogic Developer

5. Source of good admin practice?

6. Oracle/Informix and Baan

7. Database design best practice

8. Problem with PRO*C and PL/SQL-Procedure

9. Designing Security, Looking for Best Practices...

10. Stored Procs, unique temp Tables, and Good Design Practice

11. Database Design Best Practices?

12. Best practices in architecture/design for bulk-loading

13. best data design practice on performance/size