Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by Hayward La » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 05:59:15

Hi all,

Other than InstantDB, is there any free 100% Pure Java Database out there?

Hayward

Post by Carl Rosenberge » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 06:56:41

> Other than InstantDB, is there any free 100% Pure Java Database out there?

Hi Hayward,
there are quite a few.

Pointbase and Cloudscape would be available, if you want SQL.

If you consider trying an object database, you might like to try db4o or
ozone.

More can be found here:
http://www.javaskyline.com/database.html

Kind regards,
Carl
---
Carl Rosenberger
db4o - database for objects - http://www.db4o.com

Vote for db4o in Category 20, "Best Mobile Database"
http://www2.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2001

Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by Hayward La » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:00:16

Thanks, Carl.

By "free" I mean no redistribution or deployment cost. I believe
both Pointbase and Cloudscape are commercial products.

Hayward

> > Other than InstantDB, is there any free 100% Pure Java Database out
there?

> Hi Hayward,
> there are quite a few.

> Pointbase and Cloudscape would be available, if you want SQL.

> If you consider trying an object database, you might like to try db4o or
> ozone.

> More can be found here:
> http://www.javaskyline.com/database.html

> Kind regards,
> Carl
> ---
> Carl Rosenberger
> db4o - database for objects - http://www.db4o.com

> Vote for db4o in Category 20, "Best Mobile Database"
> http://www2.sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2001

Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by Brian Matzo » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 07:07:41

Quote:> Hi all,

> Other than InstantDB, is there any free 100% Pure Java Database out there?

Hypersonic, hasn't been updated for a long time though... (does anybody know
of it's status?)

www.hypersonicsql.com

Post by akmal b chaudhr » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 08:35:10

> Hi all,

> Other than InstantDB, is there any free 100% Pure Java Database out there?

> Hayward

Cloudscape is free for development and you can download from the web site:

http://www.cloudscape.com/

If you want to know a bit more about it, then there are many presentations
covering Cloudscape from the recent Informix User Conference:

http://www.informix.com/informix/iuc/break_tut.htm
http://www.informix.com/informix/iuc/all_tut.htm

KR

akmal

--
[ ---- akmal at soi.city.ac.uk ---- ]
[ http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~akmal/ ]

Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by David Forslun » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 12:34:38

The database home has moved to http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsql

Dave

> > Hi all,

> > Other than InstantDB, is there any free 100% Pure Java Database out there?

> Hypersonic, hasn't been updated for a long time though... (does anybody know
> of it's status?)

> www.hypersonicsql.com

  forslund.vcf
< 1K Download

Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by Ames Carlso » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 01:58:03

Hayward,

Here is my list of free SQL DBMSs.  I think some may
have some restrictions for the condition of freeness.

FirstSQL/J: http://www.firstsql.com/firstsqlj
Hypersonic SQL: http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsql
InstantDB: http://instantdb.enhydra.org/
McKoiDB: http://www.mckoi.com/database

The commercial ones (Cloudscape, JDataStore, Pointbase)
tend to be free for development use or have trial versions,
if that's of use to know...

Cloudscape: http://www.informix.com/cloudscape
JDataStore: http://www.borland.com/jdatastore
Pointbase: http://www.pointbase.com

Regards,
Ames Carlson
Cloudscape Developer Assistance -is- cloudhelp -at- informix.com
Cloudscape Developer Download http://www.cloudscape.com/FreeDev

Quote:> Thanks, Carl.

> By "free" I mean no redistribution or deployment cost. I believe
> both Pointbase and Cloudscape are commercial products.

> Hayward

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by Tobias Downe » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:49:03

As you can see from the replies, there are different degrees of
'freeness'.  Many people brand their product as free to some degree
or other to get you to try it.  The closest thing to 'free as in free
beer' you are going to get is Hypersonic SQL at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hsql/ which is released under an
Apache style artistic license.

I would recommend you check out all the alternatives mentioned here
however.  There are already a suprising number of pure Java database
options and they all have their own strengths and weaknesses (don't
forget to try out our project :-)).

Toby.
--
Maintainer of Mckoi SQL Database - an opensource Java RDBMS.
  http://www.mckoi.com/database/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Q:Free 100% pure Java Database?

Post by David Forslun » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 12:15:54

The link you provided below seems not to be working at the moment.

Dave Forslund

> Toby.
> --
> Maintainer of Mckoi SQL Database - an opensource Java RDBMS.
>   http://www.mckoi.com/database/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

  forslund.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Carl Rosenberge » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 12:49:29

> >   http://www.mckoi.com/database/

> The link you provided below seems not to be working at the moment.

Hi Dave,

which databases are Cisco routers using? ;-)

Regards,
Carl

Post by Tobias Downe » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 14:57:07

> > >   http://www.mckoi.com/database/

> > The link you provided below seems not to be working at the moment.

> Hi Dave,

> which databases are Cisco routers using? ;-)

> Regards,
> Carl

Very funny :-)

Provider problems.  It's working again now.

Toby.