changinf tabledef on access 2.0 database using vb3.0 pro and comp layer

changinf tabledef on access 2.0 database using vb3.0 pro and comp layer

Post by Marty Duplisse » Wed, 19 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I'm losing hair faster than I can count on this problem so if someone can
help me I'd really appreciate it.
I'm using vb3.0  (with compatibility layer installed) for this project. I
need to change the fieldsize of a text field in an access 2.0 database.
I've RTFM'ed till I'm blue in the face. It says I can do this if the
database is closed.  How do I access the Fields object if the database is
closed? I've played with code for 3 hours now and no luck. How can I do
this without making a scratch field and copying all the values to it, then
deleting the original field. then recreating it (with a new size) and
copying all the values back then deleteing the scratch field? Their has got
to be another way.

Marty Duplissey
Lone Star Business Systems

Post by Duane Branstro » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> I'm losing hair faster than I can count on this problem so if someone can
> help me I'd really appreciate it.
> I'm using vb3.0  (with compatibility layer installed) for this project. I
> need to change the fieldsize of a text field in an access 2.0 database.
> I've RTFM'ed till I'm blue in the face. It says I can do this if the
> database is closed.  How do I access the Fields object if the database is
> closed? I've played with code for 3 hours now and no luck. How can I do
> this without making a scratch field and copying all the values to it, then
> deleting the original field. then recreating it (with a new size) and
> copying all the values back then deleteing the scratch field? Their has got
> to be another way.

> Marty Duplissey
> Lone Star Business Systems

You did not tell if you use bound data or unbound, but from the problem,
it looks you use bound data(Let VB move data to ro from database). Use
bound data, you trade in a lot of freedom to simplify coding. If you
want to get back you freedom, change to unbound data. (Do not link the
data field to text field. Use your owne code to move the data around.)

1. Accessing Access 2.0 database with VB3, ODBC 2.0 and Microsotf Jet Engine Compatibility Layer

After I have installed the ms/Jet engine compatibility layer for the
visual basic 3.0 is not more successful to access data with the ODBC driver
interface .

I can still see my data base like access 2.0.
But when I try to access it like an ODBC data base
the sample program supplied by microsoft in
the c:\ vb\samples\ visdata returns a reserved error.

My data base is very simple.
It consists just in a table named as table1
where a text field is defined like unique key.

2. Need help explaining query differences

3. VB Distributional appl using Access 2.0 comp layer

4. SQL Mail Works Fine For A Few Days Then Stops

5. Bug/limitation with VB3.0 / Access 2.0 compatability layer

6. oracle instance is not running

7. VB3 - Access 2.0 Compat Layer compact problem

8. Need faster way to search full-text in a text column

9. Help VB3/VB4 Comp.Layer

10. Install Access 2.0 Cmpt Layer w/o Access 2.0 for VB 3.0

11. Programming In VB3 Pro For Use With Access 2.0

12. Various VB3 Pro and Access 2.0 Q's

13. Can't Install 2.0 compatibility layer without Access 2.0