ODBC

Post by Mike Kordi » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 04:48:28

I have a database that is written in Java that has a JDBC driver. I would
like to connect to the database from a Windows PC running a non-Java app (ie
Visual Basic). Is this possible? My understanding is that I can talk to any
ODBC source from Java via JDBC-ODBC bridge but can I go the other way?

Thanks,
Mike

ODBC

Post by Chris Thom » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:47:39

I don't think so :-(
Unless the DB has a native interface for ODBC [or some other native form]
If you just want to expose the data from this DB it is doable via CORBA/EJB but
exposing the DB's SQL interface to a non-java application may be problematic.

ATB

ODBC

Post by Peter Schull » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 05:53:03

Quote:>I have a database that is written in Java that has a JDBC driver. I would
>like to connect to the database from a Windows PC running a non-Java app (ie
>Visual Basic). Is this possible? My understanding is that I can talk to any
>ODBC source from Java via JDBC-ODBC bridge but can I go the other way?

Not unless the database implements such an interface, or if there is some
general-purpose ODBC->JDBC bridge. I doubt the latter is true though (ODBC
being much lower level than JDBC).

ODBC

Post by Remo Meie » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:18:31

Hi,

Is there another free JDBC-ODBC driver, that supports more feature than the
sun driver?

Thanks in advance,

Remo