ADO vs RDO vs ???

Post by jlukac » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

What is the general feeling of the group with respect to RDO vs ADO ?  Here
is the issue,  I am developing a system in VB 6.0 that will add a minimum of
150,000 records (x 180 bytes) per month.  For some sites, I would like to
run under MSDE, the larger sites will run under MSSQL 7.0.  By using MSDE, I
will be able to roll the smaller sites into SQL as they become larger.  Are
there any big concerns going with ADO rather than RDO ?  From what I have
read, ADO adds some overhead to the completed project, whereas RDO requires
less resources but requires a little more work on the programmer's side.

The completed system will have 12-15 users and, once the data is loaded in,
will primarily be doing look up queries.

I appreciate any insights the group may have and thanks in advance.

PJL

ADO vs RDO vs ???

Post by jwa.. » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> What is the general feeling of the group with respect to RDO vs
ADO ?  Here
> is the issue,  I am developing a system in VB 6.0 that will add a
minimum of
> 150,000 records (x 180 bytes) per month.  For some sites, I would
like to
> run under MSDE, the larger sites will run under MSSQL 7.0.  By using
MSDE, I
> will be able to roll the smaller sites into SQL as they become
larger.  Are
> there any big concerns going with ADO rather than RDO ?  From what I
have
> read, ADO adds some overhead to the completed project, whereas RDO
requires
> less resources but requires a little more work on the programmer's
side.

> The completed system will have 12-15 users and, once the data is
loaded in,
> will primarily be doing look up queries.

> I appreciate any insights the group may have and thanks in advance.

> PJL

With the amount of data and users refered to, just use ADO.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

(Message are posted in the following newsgroups: .ado, .rdo, .dao. odbc)
Hi!

I am a rather fresh programmer that have just started to look at ODBC
and ACCESS connections in my apps. I have made a few small apps
connecting to an ODBC(SQL server) using RDO, and I have made a few apps
using MS DAO 3.5 connecting to an access database. In the furture I will
be making more applications and I can choose wether to use Access or
SQL(SQL will probably be preferred). Can anyone tell me upsides and
downsides to the different connections (ADO, DAO and RDO). I have read
all the newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com/vb.database.*, but none of the
articles seems to quite answer this question. If there are posted
articles on this subject other places please give me a hint.

Thanks in advance!
KajW

2. Help Needed W/Delimited Text Importing PDOXWIN5.0

3. ADO vs DAO vs RDO

4. URGENT HELP WITH DATAFILE/ROLLBACK SEGEMENTS

5. ODBC API vs RDO vs ADO

6. Insert Error

7. ADO/OLE DB vs Native vs RDO - Oracle

8. PowerHouse

9. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

10. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

11. RDO vs ADO

12. RDO vs. ADO

13. ADO vs RDO