What are DB,PX,MB,VAL,FAM,TV,XG0,YG0?

Post by Matthew_Jenkins » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I am using Delphi and storing data in Paradox databases.  I notice
that there seem to be a lot of different files with different extensions
and was wondering what they are all for.

In particular I notice the extensions

   DB, PX, MB, VAL, FAM, TV, XG0, YG0.

I know that DB is the main database file but I haven't a clue
what all the others are for.

If anyone can shed any light...
--

Matthew_Jenkinson

Post by Grant Carpente » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> I am using Delphi and storing data in Paradox databases.  I notice
> that there seem to be a lot of different files with different extensions
> and was wondering what they are all for.

> In particular I notice the extensions

>    DB, PX, MB, VAL, FAM, TV, XG0, YG0.

> I know that DB is the main database file but I haven't a clue
> what all the others are for.

I'll do the ones I know:
MB - Memo fields stored here; the first N chars reside in the DB file
(user defined in structure of DB)
VAL - Val check's, min, max, default, etc.
FAM - I think this one keeps track of what other files are associated
with the DB file (PX, MB, etc.), not sure.
TV - Table view, defines table view properties
XG0/YGO - Secondary index files, don't know the distinction.

--
Grant (Carpenter)

What are DB,PX,MB,VAL,FAM,TV,XG0,YG0?

Post by Peggy Bak » Fri, 29 Mar 1996 04:00:00

On Mar 23, 1996 08:34:18 in article <What are

>I am using Delphi and storing data in Paradox databases.  I notice
>that there seem to be a lot of different files with different extensions
>and was wondering what they are all for.

>In particular I notice the extensions

>DB, PX, MB, VAL, FAM, TV, XG0, YG0.

PX=primary index
MB=memo storage table
VAL=validity checks stored here
FAM="family"--what are associated files
TV=table view if customized e.g., columns have been resized, colors changed

XG0,YG0=secondary index files

Quote:>I know that DB is the main database file but I haven't a clue

Post by Matthew McDermot » Sun, 31 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> > I am using Delphi and storing data in Paradox databases.  I notice
> > that there seem to be a lot of different files with different extensions
> > and was wondering what they are all for.

> > In particular I notice the extensions

> >    DB, PX, MB, VAL, FAM, TV, XG0, YG0.

> > I know that DB is the main database file but I haven't a clue
> > what all the others are for.

> I'll do the ones I know:
> MB - Memo fields stored here; the first N chars reside in the DB file
> (user defined in structure of DB)
> VAL - Val check's, min, max, default, etc.
> FAM - I think this one keeps track of what other files are associated
> with the DB file (PX, MB, etc.), not sure.
> TV - Table view, defines table view properties
> XG0/YGO - Secondary index files, don't know the distinction.

PX - Primary Index File.

Pictures are stored in the *.VAL.

Matthew McDermott
McDermott Enterprises

My Web Page: http://www.valleynet.com/~matthew
Director of Information Services & Adjunct Professor - Mathematics
The American College of Prehospital Medicine: http://www.acpm.edu/