help - crystal reports funtion

Post by Hank E. Julia » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

i created a crystal report template for printing to file - the data that
i would like to print is obtained from a data bound grid control via SQL
- changing the report source property of the crystal report control
results in either a display of the entire database from the report
template, or a crappy display of the bound data not according to the
template. what gives?

do i have to rewrite the sql within the confines of crystal report or
what?

1. Good Reporting Tool for VB to SQL (Currently Use Crystal) or Crystal w/SQL Help Appreciated

SQL 6.5, VB 4.0 (32 Bit)

I am currently using Crystal Reports 4.x to report against SQL data.  ( I
took the Crystal Reports from VB5 and installed it with my VB4 - can't use
VB5 for other reasons on this app).

The reporting tool seems Ok for some of our solutions, but on others it
fails or just can't perform the task.  For example, with TEXT data types,
we are getting a result on the printout where the contents of one field are
displayed in another.

Also, when we have one parent table to two or more repeating children
tables we can not setup a report that will display the appropriate results.
 For example:

Table ORDER has one row
Table DETAIL has three rows
Table RATES has two rows

Now we want to create a report that includes information from all three
tables.  A SQL Query might look like this:

Select ORDER.NUM, DETAIL.QTY, RATES.EFFECTIVEDATE
From ORDER, DETAIL, RATES
Where ORDER.NUM *= DETAIL.NUM AND ORDER.FEESCHEDULE *= RATES.FEESCHEDULE

The result could be:

ORDER.NUM               DETAIL.QTY              RATES.EFFECTIVEDATE
0001                    1                       Jan 01, 1997
0001                    4                       Jan 02, 1997
0001                    1                       (Null)

The problem is that no Crystal has no way of reporting on the DETAIL.QTY
field in a repeating value setup and then go back and report on the
RATES.EFFECTIVEDATE (with a repeating value setup for that section as
well).  Crystal has some options that can do this with ACCESS, dBase,
etc... But not SQL.

The option I am faced with is to attach the SQL tables to a Jet Database
(mdb) file and report against that.  It is not a good solution because some
of the data is large and would take too long.

Any other suggestions about Crystal and SQL or another tool and SQL.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please feel free to email me directly at:

--
Thank You,
Gary Glickman

2. Oracle 8.1.7 64-bit version ?

3. Crystal Report 6 and Crystal Report 8

4. CR at the end of a entry

5. Announcement: Easily integrate Crystal Reports with Remedy with UFLTimeZone for Crystal Reports

6. sqlplus session (how to) in NT

7. Editing Crystal reports without Crystal Reports

8. Help Help Help with Crystal report

9. VB4 and Crystal Reports - report error 20000 HELP!!

10. Need help printing LARGE reports with vb3.0 and Crystal Reports

11. Help With Crystal Reports: Crashes Program After Showing Second Report

12. Printing Crystal Reports report help needed