beginer problems opening database via ADO front end on network

beginer problems opening database via ADO front end on network

Post by pete » Thu, 23 May 2002 03:32:00

Hi

I have written a program which reads info from a MS Access database using
ADO components. The database and program are stored on a network directory
that people have read only access to. The ADO component uses a connection
string to connect and execute an SQL query on the database. Everything works
fine for the first person who attempts to run the program but subsequent
uses get an error message which says 'file '' unavaibable'.(or something
like that) Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks for the help

beginer problems opening database via ADO front end on network

Post by TM » Thu, 23 May 2002 18:28:38

Is it a multi user enviroment. it is just not enough  to share the database
on the network.

Quote:> Hi

> I have written a program which reads info from a MS Access database using
> ADO components. The database and program are stored on a network directory
> that people have read only access to. The ADO component uses a connection
> string to connect and execute an SQL query on the database. Everything
works
> fine for the first person who attempts to run the program but subsequent
> uses get an error message which says 'file '' unavaibable'.(or something
> like that) Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

> Thanks for the help

beginer problems opening database via ADO front end on network

Post by Menno Avegaar » Sat, 25 May 2002 05:00:36

Did you specify in your connection string that the database is read-only
(does it contain Mode=Read) ?

Quote:> Hi

> I have written a program which reads info from a MS Access database using
> ADO components. The database and program are stored on a network directory
> that people have read only access to. The ADO component uses a connection
> string to connect and execute an SQL query on the database. Everything
works
> fine for the first person who attempts to run the program but subsequent
> uses get an error message which says 'file '' unavaibable'.(or something
> like that) Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

> Thanks for the help

1. VB6 (ADO) Front end to MS Access DB on Network Drive

I created a VB6 user input form that includes a custom ADO control. The
connection string accesses an Access 97 Database on another network
drive. I packaged it to the target network drive, then installed it to
my computer (where I developed the program) from that network drive. It
worked without any problems. However, I have a problem after I install
the program to another computer on the network (via access to the same
network drive from other computer). The program installs ok, but when I
try to run it, an error message states that the ActiveX component
couldn't create an object. The program runs, but it is not connected to
the database (nothing shows up in the bound text boxes). The ActiveX
control does show up on the form however. I tried mucking around with
the connection string, but I can't see why that would be the problem
since its the same database and the same path.

The provider and data source information for the connection string
should be the same because it's the same network drive, right?

The package should include ocx and DLLs that are necessary to run the
program, right?

Can anybody help me with this?

2. Invalid Object Name

3. FRONT END / BACK END PROBLEM (writeconflict)

4. Pick D3 BASIC debugger, wish list

5. Visual Basic front-end to FileMaker via ODBC?

6. High volume xp_sendmail efficiency

7. Exporting Access records to MS Word via VB6 front end app

8. HOWTO: Stateless web based editing of records?

9. Using TEXT columns and accessing them from a front end via ODBC

10. MS-Access as front-end for remote (via internet) SQL-Server backend

11. Help Connecting VIA TCP/IP with A2K Front End

12. Error:A network error was encountered while sending results to the front end