Creating Message Boards

Post by Toni A. Parr » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I need to create a message board for a website. I've never done this
before and don't know what my options are (i.e., Java, shrinkwrapped
package, etc.)

I'd appreciate some input as to my options, as well as any pointers to
websites containing the information I'm looking for.

Thank you.

Toni A. Parra

Creating Message Boards

Post by Barry Scott Wil » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:Toni A. Parra wrote...

|I need to create a message board for a website. I've never done this
|before and don't know what my options are (i.e., Java, shrinkwrapped
|package, etc.)

Here's another option. Use someone else's. Server.com offers a threaded
discussion board for an unbeatable price -- free (with display of a banner
ad, $95/year without the ad). http://server.com/WebApps/ I've never tried
their service, but their existence indicates that there may also be other
providers.
--

http://cavebear.home.mindspring.com/

Creating Message Boards

Post by Jim Whit » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I need to create a message board for a website. I've never done this
>before and don't know what my options are (i.e., Java, shrinkwrapped
>package, etc.)

>I'd appreciate some input as to my options, as well as any pointers to
>websites containing the information I'm looking for.

There are many such.  A popular one is WWWBoard
<http://www.veryComputer.com/;.

jim
James P. White                        Netscape DevEdge Champion for IFC
Director of Technology Adventure Online * http://www.veryComputer.com/
Developers of Gameworld -- Live Action Role-Playing and Strategic Games

Creating Message Boards

Post by Markus Straessle » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>I need to create a message board for a website. I've never done this
>before and don't know what my options are (i.e., Java, shrinkwrapped
>package, etc.)

I recommend to have a look at the "Ultimate Bulletin Board"
at http://www.prime-web.com/compass/ultbb10.html.

I found it quite easy to install this perl written CGI Scripts on a
Windows NT Webserver as well as on a Linux Server.

| CHCRC.C2, Segelhof                    phone: ++41 56 486 80 94 |
| CH-5405 Baden-Daettwil, Switzerland     fax: ++41 56 486 73 65 |
|                                                                |

| Beatenweg 6                            phone: ++41 1 822 31 34 |
| CH-8600 Duebendorf, Switzerland                                |
|              WWW: http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/~straessl            |

1. New 'Creating Message Board' Beta chapter

FYI, most publishers have online forms on their web-pages where you can post
your idea for the content of your book. If interested, they'll get back to
you. If not, I'm sure they'll let you know. Only thing I'd recommend is not
contacting Sam's Publishing. Now, I didn't look through it much, just the
first 2 pages, and it appears as if you have a good writing style. Posting
it to this newsgroup I don't think will do you any good, but go ahead and
try with the publishers directly. It seems as if you have a full-time job
from your signature. Be aware that writing a book takes _a lot_ of effort
back and forth with the manuscript, so the more you have written at this
moment, the better. :-)

Good luck!

2. OOP real life example (was Re: Why is MySQL more chosen

3. Creating a Message Board

4. VisualAge Data Access Builder and Oracle?

5. A Great Tech Message Board

6. Distribution/Support channels wanted.

7. Efficient paging in an message board system

8. IDENTITY field problem

9. Message Board

10. Displaying Page Views for Messages in Discussion Board

11. SQLXML Message Board - Testers Needed

12. ASP Fully Threaded Message Board

13. Welcome to FreeBSD unix discussion forums, message boards !