Microsoft Jet with Multithreading

Post by News » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:53:20

Hello all,

I am looking for help with an internet app I am writing. It may be the way
I've tried coding it, but I'll give a quick overview.

The app is a multithreaded NNTP reader mainly for downloading out of the
binary groups. The problem is when I d/l headers.

Order of operation:

1. The program is started and an Access db is opened, and 3 or 4 tables are
opened as recordsets.

2. When I tell it to d/l headers for group 'x', it checks the 'Groups' table
for the servers that carry the group.
    a. An outside thread it created for the d/l.
    b. This thread is passed the db reference thru setting a property, ie.
thread1.database = activeDB
    c. Inside that thread it attaches to the passed ref, SET ThreadDB =
activeDB
    d.. When the db ref is successfully passed, the thread opens it's own
recordset off of that ref, set GroupRST= threadDB.openrecordset(tableName,
dbOpenDynaset)

3. The thread then d/l's header info. does some string parsing, then tries
to add the header to the RST, groupRST.Addnew............groupRST.Update.

So........6 threads, all trying to add data to different tables, at about,
let's say, 200-300 records a sec. which would be under 2K records sec.

In testing, just straight inserts into a table from the main thread yeilded
better than 3K records second. I'm estimating that with 6 threads, I'm
getting about 35 records/sec...MAX.

I'm sure that there's a lot more info needed, but I'm out of time.

If anyone can help, I will gladly provide more.

Thank you for your time.

DS

1. Microsoft Access ODBC access and multithreading

Hi, I am trying to locate information on this error.
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver]General error OleInitialize
failed. return code  last error = 0x80010106

This occurs if I do a
 CoInitializeEx(NULL, COINIT_MULTITHREADED);
before calling
 SQLConnect to a Microsoft Access database DSN.

If I remove the CoInitializeEx then it works fine. Is this a limitation of
the Access
ODBC driver ? Anywhere I can read on how to get around this.

TIA.
sandi

2. SQL DB in Access97

3. microsoft.jet.oledb.3.51 v.s. microsoft.jet.oledb.4.0

4. Designer/2000 and Windows NT authentification

5. Shared Memory

6. Jet DB Performance (Jet 3.51 vs. Jet 4.0)

7. pick chats

8. limitations on Microsoft Jet DB Engine

9. ODBC Direct or Microsoft Jet - Advice ???

10. Linked Server Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 to Access MDB with Workgroup/Security

11. Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0

12. Use of the Microsoft OLE DB provider for Jet with SQL Server 7