BDE ERROR "Bad File number"

Post by s.. » Sun, 04 Aug 1996 04:00:00

A While ago I developed a Multi-User Database App in Delphi using
paradox 5 tables. The BDE was set up as normal with the correct alias,
network control file access etc.

The tables were stored on a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4.
The Network software is PC-NFS.

The Error "Bad File Number" appears when two users try to post at the
same time. This is a BDE Error, but what i need to know is why I am
getting this error, and what is a "file number".

I have contacted Borland and received no reply (email) and have posted
this group on a number of occasions.

My current suspicions lie with PC-NFS.

I would appreciate reply by email, Thanks in advance

Sean

BDE ERROR "Bad File number"

Post by Sundial Servic » Tue, 06 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>A While ago I developed a Multi-User Database App in Delphi using
>paradox 5 tables. The BDE was set up as normal with the correct alias,
>network control file access etc.
>The tables were stored on a Sun Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4.
>The Network software is PC-NFS.
>The Error "Bad File Number" appears when two users try to post at the
>same time. This is a BDE Error, but what i need to know is why I am
>getting this error, and what is a "file number".
>I have contacted Borland and received no reply (email) and have posted
>this group on a number of occasions.
>My current suspicions lie with PC-NFS.

Probably the network type is merely a red herring.

Check the FILES= statement in the CONFIG.SYS file on each machine.  Then check
the MAX FILE HANDLES parameter in the BDE configuration, again on each machine.

Make sure that:  (1) the MAX FILE HANDLES is about 20 less than the FILES=
amount.  Then (2) make sure that the server is set up to allow for that number
of open files (times the number of connected CPUs).

A "file number" is a file-handle... the way that a program refers to a
particular file that it has opened.  If the computer runs out of file
handles then Bad Things can happen.  The control mechanisms are a little weak
here in DOS, so this is why BDE has that limiting parameter.

/mr/

1. BDE Error "Bad file number"?????

I have developed a client/server application who uses paradox tables and
the
bde as database. The application runs in a peer to peer network using
Windows95 and
Lantastic with 5-10 users.
A few times a day the bde shows the following message.
"Bad file number" (+ path to a specifik paradox table).
After this happens the app (and the computer) stops running and the user
must
reboot. The path in the error message does not always point to the same
table.

This is a big problem for me so I would appriciate any tries to help me
out!

Please mail me your suggestions!

/Jonas

2. text width in Query Analyzer

3. "Bad file number" error

4. Questions in Building Indexes

5. "Unknown error message number "16118"

6. nt & v2.6a

7. "Unknown error message number "16118".

8. Slow query

9. "Transactions are bad, real bad" - discuss

10. JDBC, MySQL error: "Bad handshake"

11. Error "Bad cursor state"

12. BDE Error "BLOB has been modified"

13. "Directory Busy" BDE error