32 bit BDE with 16 bit ODBC Drivers

Post by Bell's Theor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a problem that perhaps may just be an installation problem. I have an
NT 4.0 system. I loaded it up with Delphi 2 and BDE. I also loaded it with
Oracle 73 and have loaded the 32 bit ODBC drivers using 32 bit ODBC
administrator. The system also has SQL*Net 2.0. BDE recognizes the 32 bit ODBC
drivers (data sources) that I loaded using the ODBC administrator. So far, no
problem.
But then I realized that I had to load 16 bit ODBC drivers for Oracle 7
because I needed to connect to a SQL*NET 1.0 site! So I did! Then I created
data sources using the 16 bit ODBC administator. And it is there! However the
32 bit ODBC administrator cannot see the data sources I created. I assume
there is no surprise there.?!?!
The real question is, why does the 32 bit BDE not recognize the data sources I
just created using the 16 bit ODBC administrator?
Does this mean I need to load the 16 bit BDE into my system as well?
And if I do then which IDAPI configuration will Delphi use???
I need to be able to use both. Or can I?

Many thanks in advance.

32 bit BDE with 16 bit ODBC Drivers

Post by Guenther Sora » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi!

Quote:>Does this mean I need to load the 16 bit BDE into my system as well?
>And if I do then which IDAPI configuration will Delphi use???
>I need to be able to use both. Or can I?

No. It's not a problem of BDE it's a problem of ODBC. 32 Bit ODBC doesn't
see 16 Bit ODBC deklarations and so BDE doesn't. But indeed you can use 16
Bit BDE to access 16 Bit ODBC but only with 16 Bit Delphi (= Delphi 1). So
if you want to use 16 and 32 Bit ODBC you have to declare your databases
twice.

regards gue

1. ODBC driver installation conflicts (between 16 bit and 32 bit drivers) on NT

I don't use NT, but in Windows I do NOT use the ODBC manager to deinstall
ODBC drivers (and Oracle PO7 warns you about this) I just delete the .dll I
don't want and replace it with the one I want. Maybe this will work for you.
Mike Schuler - software developer
IBX datasystems limited
Vancouver - CANADA

2. CA-FUNCTIONAL ANALYST

3. Registering Server Problem. Help Me!!!! (please)

4. 32 bit bde with 16 bit odbc

5. ACCESS 2000 SQL FORM PROBLEM WITH VBA.

6. 16-bit/32-bit ODBC drivers - NT Environment

7. Binding Access Table to DBGrid

8. 16 Bit app trying to access 32 bit ODBC driver

9. 16 bit ODBC drivers in the 32 bit environment

10. ODBC - Driver for 16-Bit and 32-Bit Windows NT Applikations

11. 16 bit SQL Driver VS 32 bit SQL Driver

12. 32-bit BDE versus 16-bit