difference between jdbc thin and jdbc odbc driver behavior under Oracle 7.3

difference between jdbc thin and jdbc odbc driver behavior under Oracle 7.3

Post by Jeff Ki » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Evidently we have uncovered a possibly already well known fact.

Can anyone tell me
1) is this well known
2) what other differences are known, and where can I learn of them?

Here is a description:

It appears that if your retrieve the value of a field from an ODBC
result set that field value is consumed and no longer available from
that result set. The following example demonstrates the problem:

ResultSet results = {do some query here}

while (results.next())
{
   // retrieve the value in the first column
    if ( results.getString(1) != null)
    {

    // attempt to retrieve the exact same value again.
    // This will succeed with the Oracle thin drivers but fail if
using ODBC
    // ODBC will throw an "No More Data Found" exception here instead.

    Y = results.getString(1);

Quote:}
}

To get around this problem, once a value is retrieved, it needs to be
saved off if you are using the jdbc-odbc driver.

I am interested if any of you have heard anything about this problem
or one like it. Any documentation about this problem would be
comforting.

Thanks
Jeff Kish

1. oracle 7.3 jdbc thin/odbc bridge differences

[...]

2. Database Backup/Restore problem

3. ORACLE 7.3 JDBC THIN driver problem

4. DataGrid and Datacontrol

5. Oracle JDBC Thin Applet + MS IE: SecurityException accessing jdbc.drivers system property

6. 32-bit ODBC Drivers for Ingres - PB

7. Data order in DBGrid

8. jdbc odbc thin differences, oracle

9. Oracle 7.3 Thin JDBC and Protocol Violation

10. Oracle 7.3, JDBC thin client, HP-UX 10.20

11. JDBC Driver for MS Access (Not JDBC-ODBC Driver)

12. JDBC-Driver for Oracle 7.3