VB-ORACLE REMOTE ACCESS :TNSNAMES.ORA

Post by Manish Sha » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:10:59

H! Everybody

problem:Is it necessary to have tnsnames.ora on each
machine on which I run my vb application that access
remote oracle database ?

How can we run an VB.6 application that access a remote
oracle 7.3 database on a machine which does not have Net8
installed ? What is the other way whereby I can run my
application and access remote oracle database without
configuring local tnsnames.ora/ or without Net8.

So the question is if my machine does not have Net8
Assistant and I want to run my vb application to access
remote oracle database what is the way.

pl. help me find this soultion

Thanks a lot

Manish shah

VB-ORACLE REMOTE ACCESS :TNSNAMES.ORA

Post by Douglas Laudenschlager [M » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:53:13

Manish,

Connectivity to an Oracle database requires the Oracle client installation
on any machine from which a client application is going to connect.

If you can't install the Oracle client on all workstations, one alternative
would be to break your application into the client interface, and a
middle-tier server data access component running on a single central
machine, and interacting with Oracle for your clients. Then only the
middle-tier server would require the Oracle client installation.

But again, whatever machine or machines are connecting to Oracle will
require the Oracle client installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/security.

VB-ORACLE REMOTE ACCESS :TNSNAMES.ORA

Post by Paul Durdi » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:11:11

Another useful tip to help administer oracle databases is to place the
tnsnames.ora file on a network location, so that you only have to update a
single location when you change server details, or add servers. It requires
a new registry entry - if you are interested i will look it up...

Paul Durdin

Quote:> H! Everybody