VB + FoxPro

Post by Joe Howar » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I write the web software for our online sales processes where I work,
www.shopmti.com and I have written about a dozen or so Visual Basic 4.0
app's that read/write old .DBF database tables using the standard DAO and
MS-JET methods.

What I want to do now is have my Visual Basic app's do the same thing, but
using "live" .DBF tables that are in use on the same network by legacy 16bit
FoxPro 2.6 DOS applications.

My question is, will there be any problems with my VB app's having
read/write access to these same tables that 16bit FoxPro DOS applications
have read/write access to? Such as "exclusive write" file locking and other
such antics being performed by the FoxPro apps?

Any tips along these lines would b helpful thanks...

VB + FoxPro

Post by Joe Howar » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I write the web software for our online sales processes where I work,
www.shopmti.com and I have written about a dozen or so Visual Basic 4.0
app's that read/write old .DBF database tables using the standard DAO and
MS-JET methods.

What I want to do now is have my Visual Basic app's do the same thing, but
using "live" .DBF tables that are in use on the same network by legacy 16bit
FoxPro 2.6 DOS applications.

My question is, will there be any problems with my VB app's having
read/write access to these same tables that 16bit FoxPro DOS applications
have read/write access to? Such as "exclusive write" file locking and other
such antics being performed by the FoxPro apps?

Any tips along these lines would b helpful thanks...

1. Help: VB + Foxpro reject dates before 1753 ?!?!?!

Hello fellow Usenetters,

I doubt many of you handle Spanish Inquisition data... but this one
does, to assist my wife in her PhD research. I am writing a front end
for a database originally done in FoxPro 2.0 for DOS, using VB/Win 3.0
and a data control.

VB does this effortlessly; Only problem is a DATE field which appears
empty of contents in its bound text box. After much fretting turns out
the dates are there in the database but are invisible to VB because
they are in the 15th century, and VB refuses to read dates from Fox
and dBASE if earlier than 1/1/1753! I found this by trying to enter
dates into the bound control: If date is before 1753, trying to Move
(and update file) gives a "Date out of range" error; changing the year
fixes this. To be sure, I created a brand-new Fox table in Database
Manager, placed a single date field and tried to add records from within
Database Manager; the same error appears on inputing dates before 1753.
This happens for Foxpro and dBase IV, but NOT for Access format which
works fine.

Scanning the FAQ, Help, Docs and MS Knowledge Base yields no answer...
any help from the group will be appreciated (and save us manually
retyping a zillion dates as text strings!...)

Thanks,
          Nathan

Intel Electronics Ltd., Jerusalem, Israel

2. VB Newsgroup App Source Code? Please Help

3. ADO/vb/FOXPRO

4. Question!!! About Store Image ... HELP!!!

5. vb/foxpro

6. EM View display configuration

7. how to speed up SQL queries using VB\foxpro

8. AddNew and Update ADO methods

9. report generator, VB, Foxpro, & rookies

10. VB Foxpro interface

11. VB-FoxPro Securing the contents of the backend database

12. VB - FoxPro

13. VB/Foxpro SQL difference?