Import txt file from VB to SQL2K

Post by bjay » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 03:05:12

I have a VB6 program with Access 97 backend and we are currently trying to
change our backend to SQL Server 2000. What we need is a program where the
user could import a text file and read it into SQL. I'm able to do so but it
takes about 20 minutes to import the records (200,000+). I was wondering if
there's a quicker way to do this process. Does anyone have any suggestions
or ideas where I could look to find a better solution?

TIA
bjay

Import txt file from VB to SQL2K

Post by Leo Walte » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 04:37:21

Look into the DTS (Data Transformation Services) in SQL 2K.
You can make a DTS package to do the import.
You can save the DTS package as a .bas file and modify it within your code.
This uses the SQL resources to import the file instead of transferring it
through VB.

Hope this helps...

Quote:> I have a VB6 program with Access 97 backend and we are currently trying to