Creating external data source files from within MFC or DAO

Creating external data source files from within MFC or DAO

Post by John MacInty » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to create new external files which can then be attached to
my CDaoDatabase variable.

for example;
create a new Excel file
create a linked table in my mdb file
modify the linked table.

Does anybody know how I can do this?

Thanks in advance.

Creating external data source files from within MFC or DAO

Post by Don Reame » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

You can create the Excel file using a SQL CREATE TABLE statement.
I am assuming when you say link you mean create some type of relation,
right?
If so you can use the CDaoDatabase::CreateRelation() method.
You can modify the table using UPDATE, INSERT or DELETE SQL commands.

Don Reamey
The Reamey Technology Group

:
:I'm trying to create new external files which can then be attached to
:my CDaoDatabase variable.
:
:for example;
:create a new Excel file
:create a linked table in my mdb file
:modify the linked table.
:
:
:Does anybody know how I can do this?
:
:
:Thanks in advance.
:

Creating external data source files from within MFC or DAO

Post by Jonathan Eric Mille » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I think you would probably need to do this using OLE automation. At least
for creating the link between the database and the spreadsheet.

Jon

--
To reply to me via email please remove the _ from my email address.

>I'm trying to create new external files which can then be attached to
>my CDaoDatabase variable.

>for example;
>create a new Excel file
>create a linked table in my mdb file
>modify the linked table.

>Does anybody know how I can do this?

>Thanks in advance.

1. Newbie: problems using a MSDE data source within a MFC CRecordset

I have been successfully using mdb (Access) data sources in my MFC Visual
C++ programs for years, now I'm trying to migrate to MSDE.  I convert my
existing db, create a DNS (using the ODBC Sql Server driver) pointing to the
converted database, generate my CRecorset dynaset class with ClassWizard.

Result:
- queries and retrieving ok
- when I try to update or add a record, a "Read-only Recordset" box pos up

If I re-convert the db to .mdb and change only the DNS everything works.
The database is on the local machine. Through the Enterprise Manager I can
update the db and the db properties seem to have no restrictions.  The
authentication is NT authentication both with Enterprise Manager and my DNS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Fabio

2. Help: transaction log is full and master device too !

3. DAO: problems attaching external tables (ODBC data sources)

4. SQLEXEC

5. Can't update external table, connecting with MFC DAO

6. Oracle 9i Portal 3.0 Configuration Assistant

8. Speed: DBE 5.00 versus DBE 4.51

9. creating dimentions from a text file data source

10. Create a Link to an ODBC Database with MFC DAO

11. need help on creating installation of MFC DAO application

12. Problem creating new DB with MFC and DAO

13. Create external table with DAO?