Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

Post by William Limratan » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi, if anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have been trying to make a simple java applet connect to an Oracle 7.1
database running on HP/UX.  I tried first using Oracle's thin drivers.
Their documentation said it only worked with 7.2 and up, but I wanted to
try anyway.  It didn't work.  Also, I am running/writing this java
applet from a Windows95 desktop on the same Lan as the Oracle HP/UX
server.

Someone from this newsgroup was nice enough to give me the link to SCO's
JDBC drivers for Oracle (as well as other databases).  I got everything
set up, but could not connect.  I modified the code to explicitly
connect to the database I wanted it to (so it wouldn't use the user
interface to get connection options).  I also address Universal Connect
code for Netscape security overrides because I need this to work with
Netscape.

This is the message I get:

** SQLException caught ***

SQLState: 08001
Message: Unable to connect to data source: Cannot get port number from
portmapper: server may not be running
Vendor: 0

I got this same message weather I used the applet or application version
of the example connectivity program that was included.

I used:

 String url   =
"jdbc:sqlr:172.0.0.1:Oracle;DBname=production;DBuser=dbo;DBauth=dbo;
Application=example;DebugPCFile=vwodbc.txt;DebugPCAppend=0;DebugOptions=895"

for the connection string.  (172.0.0.1 is not the real address I used,
it was another machine, not the one I was running this java
application/applet from.)

I tried using 172.0.0.1:1521 to explicitly designate the port, and I
also used Port=1521, as an option to see if that might be the problem.

If anyone has any ideas what I might be doing wrong, please let me
know.  I would like to get database connectivity with only jdbc so I
don't have to worry about users having ODBC or running another server
for some middleware program.

  Thanks very much,

    William Limratana

Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

Post by Allan Goul » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The source of your problem is that you indeed have not installed the
host component of SQL-Retriever.  You need a server module on your
Unix machine (in your case HP/Oracle?).  We don't force you to do this
when you download our JDBC driver, but it is stated in the download WWW pages.

See http://www.sco.com/vision/products/jdbc/pages/jdwnsqlr.htm for more info

--
You could try our ODBC driver: SCO SQL-Retriever.  Take a look at
http://www.sco.com/vision/products/sqlretriever/ for more information

Allan Gould
(allang at sco dot com)
(Please remove anti-spam measures if replying)

1. Please help: Oracle 7.1 JDBC connections : portmaper error/general connectivity errors

[...]

2. Windows95 SQL client apps very slow if SPX/IPX protocol present

3. Please Help with these ORACLE 7.1 (NT) questions

4. Autotrace

5. Help on Oracle 7.1 for Novell Netware and SQL*Net connection

6. Massachusetts - Senior Oracle Project Manager

7. JDBC database connection error - Please help!

8. Server-client connect error

9. Oracle 7.1 Database Connectivity

10. DB2 Ver 7.1 JDBC Connection Pooling problem

11. ORACLE connection with JDBC - please help !

12. UDB 7.1 JDBC error