ODBC Connection via TCP/IP

Post by David Dea » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

This is driving me nuts...

I am trying to connect, via TCP/IP over the Internet, to a certain SQL
Server.  The firewalls on both ends are configured correctly, and when I use
NT to make the connection, I have to set the default protocol for the SQL
Server ODBC driver to be Multi-Protocol (for some reason, setting it to
TCP/IP doesn't work).  However, when I try to do this in Win95 I can't set
it to Multi-Protocol because it tells me that the specified library doesn't
exist.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How can I get around it?

ODBC Connection via TCP/IP

Post by Stephanie Giovannin » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

David,

Run the 32-bit Setup program again from the SQL Server CD (i386\setup) on
the Win95 machine. The multi-protocol libraries should be installed no
matter what other options you choose. I don't think the 16-bit client
(clients\win16\setup) supports multi-protocol. If your client program
requires a 16-bit client, you will have to get TCP/IP working or upgrade the
client app to 32-bit.

Also, try setting the default network protocol in the SQL Client
Configuration utility instead of ODBC.

Quote:>This is driving me nuts...

>I am trying to connect, via TCP/IP over the Internet, to a certain SQL
>Server.  The firewalls on both ends are configured correctly, and when I
use
>NT to make the connection, I have to set the default protocol for the SQL
>Server ODBC driver to be Multi-Protocol (for some reason, setting it to
>TCP/IP doesn't work).  However, when I try to do this in Win95 I can't set
>it to Multi-Protocol because it tells me that the specified library doesn't
>exist.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How can I get around it?

1. ODBC Connection via TCP/IP

This is driving me nuts...

I am trying to connect, via TCP/IP over the Internet, to a certain SQL
Server.  The firewalls on both ends are configured correctly, and when I use
NT to make the connection, I have to set the default protocol for the SQL
Server ODBC driver to be Multi-Protocol (for some reason, setting it to
TCP/IP doesn't work).  However, when I try to do this in Win95 I can't set
it to Multi-Protocol because it tells me that the specified library doesn't
exist.  Has anyone else experienced this?  How can I get around it?

2. Connect time using SQL*Plus on local machine

3. ODBC Connection Error via TCP/IP

4. GPF in OLE2DISP.DLL - VB4 w/Crystal Reports

5. VT320 and 8-Bit Functionality

6. Comparing NetBios->TCP/IP vs TCP/IP Sockets running SQL Server ODBC

7. SourceSafe Checkin Strategies

8. ADO connection via TCP/IP from ASP

9. Problem with connection via TCP/IP

10. Need help in connection via tcp/ip!

11. TCP/IP connection via Satellite

12. RAS Connection can't talk to MS SQL Server via TCP/IP