JDBC and Sybase

Post by Coatesi » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

What is the best way to create a 3 tier application using JDBC that can
support all database access functions etc.
Is there a way to relax browser security to allow the creation of a 2 tier
applet that can access a database that isnt on the web server?

JDBC and Sybase

Post by Jon Smir » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

JConnect is a free download from the Sybase site. It will allow you to build
a two tier browser-based applet. The documentation with JConnect and the
server tells how to do this. JConnect is a type 4 pure Java JDBC driver that
can run in an applet.

http://www.sybase.com/products/internet/jconnect/

If you running Linux Sybase is offering a free for commercial  use version
of their flagship ASE database:

http://www.sybase.com/products/databaseservers/linux/

--
Jon Smirl

JDBC and Sybase

Post by Joseph Weinstei » Thu, 17 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> What is the best way to create a 3 tier application using JDBC that can
> support all database access functions etc.
> Is there a way to relax browser security to allow the creation of a 2 tier
> applet that can access a database that isnt on the web server?

Hi. A type-3 JDBC driver is what you want. It's all Java so it can be used in an applet,
and it connects to a middle tier (running on the same machine that downloaded the applet),
which acts as a proxy for the client, and can connect to any DBMS on the network.
  Some of the middle-tier proxies have added features like connection pooling, for performance,
and so the client needn't transmit, know, or even be able to find out the DBMS user name
and password. Some of these middle tiers are generic enough to connect to any DBMS that
has any sort of JDBC access. Lastly, some of these type-3 drivers and their proxies can
communicate over a number of protocols, including SSL, HTTP, or HTTPS, so your
applet can do secure encrypted JDBC across third-party firewalls.
   The WebLogic application server and it's type-3 JDBC driver is one example.

Joe

--

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is in S.F., and now has some entry-level positions for
people who want to work with Java and E-Commerce infrastructure products. Send

                    The Weblogic Application Server from BEA
         JavaWorld Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
  Java Developer's Journal Editor's Choice Award: Best Web Application Server
     Crossroads A-List Award: Rapid Application Development Tools for Java
Intelligent Enterprise RealWare: Best Application Using a Component Architecture
               http://weblogic.beasys.com/press/awards/index.htm

1. JDBC with Sybase 11 and SQL Server 7?

How would I access Sybase 11 and SQL Server 7 databases from Java?

Do I need any special JDBC drivers? (And if so, where can I get them?)

Thanks

Markus

--
"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
George W. Bush, Jr.

2. DTSTransformStat_ExceptionRow causing error

3. JDBC and Sybase 11.0.3 and metadata?

4. To clean LOG

5. JDBC and sybase

6. like verb in cursor in pl/sql

7. problem with jdbc and sybase V12

8. Multi User becomes Single User - HELP!!

9. linux, jdbc and sybase - oh my!

10. Error with jConnect - JDBC for Sybase

11. JDBC and Sybase

12. JDBC for SYBASE

13. JDBC for SYBASE SQL Server