BDE alias really needed??

Post by Anders LE » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I was added in alias to machines that will run my app.
But lately find out that if I put a TDatabase to my app, putting a
parameter of  path=c:\mydatapath
is all what I need.

Is there anything I miss if I give up alias at all???

BDE alias really needed??

Post by Bruce Robert » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I was added in alias to machines that will run my app.
> But lately find out that if I put a TDatabase to my app, putting a
> parameter of  path=c:\mydatapath
> is all what I need.

> Is there anything I miss if I give up alias at all???

The advantage of using an alias is that you don't have to add any extra
coding to store/retrieve the db location - its already done and is
incorporated into the deployed BDE.

1. BDE alias really needed??

  Going through the hassle of setting up an alias (and then having to
maintain it) is an advantage over one line of code?

  I've never (and will never) use an alias...   If the user moves the
databases (for whatever reason), the alias does you no good ...  It's much,
much, much (...) much easier to load the table dynamically ...

--

Jason Wallace
SL Software

2. DTS Error "Column Delimiter not found"

3. Really, really, REALLY need an answer

4. List Box Formatting - Recordset

5. problems with ODBC drivers and BDE alias: I need explanation

6. INFORMIX --> SQL-Server

7. BDE Alias's and new installs of the BDE

8. delete excel row using ActiveX

9. I REALLY REALLY NEED, HELP!!!!!

10. Ontape being really, really, really SLOW...

11. Variation on old theme - Adding BDE Aliases at runtime

12. visibility of BDE aliases

13. Deleting an Alias from the BDE in D1