I Need help insering text and dates into MS Access '97

I Need help insering text and dates into MS Access '97

Post by Jim Arche » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi All...

I have been trying to write SQL queries to insert values into an MS
Access '97 database, and have had little success. I need to do this
because I have to write a client which will eventually run against MS
SQL Server, but I need to develope on my laptop without SQL Server being
available.

I can insert data into Access NUMBER types, but trying to put in data
into TEXT, DATE/TIME or YES/NO types results in an exception being
thrown. I realize that the DATE/TIME and YES/NO may be a problem, but I
thought TEXT should be straightfoward. If  I go to the ODBC control
panel and create a log, there is an entry which complaines that there is
a syntax error in my INSERT INTO statement. Hrer is what I am saying:

INSERT INTO Sc_Messages (Scid, Lat, Lon, RunTime, Date) VALUES (1, 12.3,
45.6, 123456, 'DATE_TEXT')

I don't think there is a syntax error here. All fields are number except
for Date, which I have tried as both TEXT and DATE/TIME. I have tried
escapint the ' marks, using " marks, useing no marks. For date, I have
tried many formats surrounded by ', " and # signs, as well as the JDBC
date and time escape sequences {d '1999-01-01'} and such.

I am useing the JDBC-ODBC bridge from Sun.

I would GREATLY appreciate help with this. I'm days behind schedual
because of it and am completely out of ideas!

Thanks to everyone!!!

Jim

Post by Jim Arche » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> INSERT INTO Sc_Messages (Scid, Lat, Lon, RunTime, Date) VALUES (1, 12.3,
> 45.6, 123456, 'DATE_TEXT')

Oh, God... Do I ever feel sick! I guess I'm amazed that Access let me create
a field called Date, but thats not an excuse...

Never mind...

Jim

1. MS-Access 97 to SQL Server to MS-Access 97

Hi this is a thread from another news group that has not been
answered. Any ideas anyone?

Thank You, Thank You...you hit it right on the money. It seems SQL
import/export converted all my MS-Access memo fields to the SQL ntext
data type. Does SQL Server have a comparable memo field type? If not
how do people get around the memo field requirement? Create text field
large enough for the average requirement?

Thanks Again

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:40:30 +0400, Alexey Dolganov

2. Recomendations for VB database training

3. How Creating Calandar

4. Numeric Output problem with 'MS ODBC Driver to Oracle'/Access'97/Oracle

5. SQLXMLBulkLoad error with multiple upload at same time

6. Need help in connecting to MS ACCESS 97...

7. HTML Form to post templates

8. Help needed on writing/updating MS Access 97

9. Need help with MS Access 97 tab controls

10. Read Btrieve files from Access '97 or Excel '97

11. Help, using an Access 97 DB without MS Access Application