ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Edwin Go » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

What do you recomend for this setup:

VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Ben Curthoy » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

if you have no plans to ever take the database to SQL Server / anything
bigger, then go for

VB front-end ---> DAO ----> Jet database

(no odbc at all)

i've heard variable things about ADO - i've not used it myself.
(bugs, poor documentation, way of the future)

DAO may be out dated, but (i think) it is agreed to be the best way of
getting at current JET databases

>What do you recomend for this setup:

>VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Jerry Bumgarne » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I would recommend ADO.  I've been using it on several small Access projects
and find it to be easier to develop manually than DAO.

Quote:>What do you recomend for this setup:

>VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Graham Stanbur » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Without doubt: VB->DAO->Jet (this is microsoft's recommendation for new
applications). Don't use ADO unless you are planning to update in the near
future to SQL-Server or something similar.

If you do go with ADO be prepared to spend hours/days/weeks on this
newsgroup looking for answers to locking problems, bugs & poor documentation
:-)

Graham

Post by William R Highfie » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>What do you recomend for this setup:

>VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

        As stated in previous articles: VB->DAO->*.mdb.  The only
thing that I have used ADO with Access backends is doing raw inserts
and queries with.  You can't access the full potential of ADO using a
Access backend.

my .02

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Michael D. Lon » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

The only valid answer is to eliminate the ODBC portion
of the scenario.

>What do you recomend for this setup:

>VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Simon Ransha » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

They say RDO is fastest but  I havn't a clue yet how to do it!

Quote:> What do you recomend for this setup:

> VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Tim Campbel » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

OK, so everyone pritty much agrees that DAO should be used, and I agree.
I'm using ADO on an app I developing (using access, but going to upgrade to
SQL) and it is a pain in the neck.  But why do some people say not to use
ODBC??  And YES the documentation sucks for ADO

Tim Campbell

ADO vs DAO vs RDO

Post by Vince DiCier » Wed, 07 Apr 1999 04:00:00

If the database is always going to be an Access database
    then DAO without ODBC will provide the fastest access.
If the database will be Access initialy, but may later be moved
    to A Database Server such as SQL Server or Oracle
    then RDO with ODBC will provide the fastest access.

>What do you recomend for this setup:

>VB front-end ---> ODBC ----> Jet database (*.mdb file)

1. ADO vs RDO vs DAO?

(Message are posted in the following newsgroups: .ado, .rdo, .dao. odbc)
Hi!

I am a rather fresh programmer that have just started to look at ODBC
and ACCESS connections in my apps. I have made a few small apps
connecting to an ODBC(SQL server) using RDO, and I have made a few apps
using MS DAO 3.5 connecting to an access database. In the furture I will
be making more applications and I can choose wether to use Access or
SQL(SQL will probably be preferred). Can anyone tell me upsides and
downsides to the different connections (ADO, DAO and RDO). I have read
all the newsgroups msnews.microsoft.com/vb.database.*, but none of the
articles seems to quite answer this question. If there are posted
articles on this subject other places please give me a hint.

Thanks in advance!
KajW

2. Why is only 1 control refreshing() ?

3. Performance (ADO vs DAO vs RDO) and (Resultset vs Recordset) ?

4. modify one record with UPDATE statement

5. DAO vs others (ADO, ODBC, OLE, RDO, ...)

6. run level for SQL Anywhere startup on solaris

7. ADO vs RDO vs ???

8. Making a copy of an access table

9. ADO/OLE DB vs Native vs RDO - Oracle

10. ODBC API vs RDO vs ADO

11. VB5 vs VB6, DAO vs ADO?

12. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

13. RDO Vs DAO