Deployment Wizard is bloating my app!

Post by Mitch » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The VB 6 Package and Deployment Wizard is consistenly adding DLLs and other
files to my install program.  I only have one reference (DAO 3.51) and three
OCXs in my project yet the Wizard is adding about 16 additional files taht
have no relation to my project...help me get rid of them.

Deployment Wizard is bloating my app!

Post by Colin Youn » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

There is a dialog box in the wizard that allows you to unselect the DLLs you
don't want to include. Just make sure you really know what you are doing,
because some of them are required even if you do not explicitly reference
them.

Colin

Quote:> The VB 6 Package and Deployment Wizard is consistenly adding DLLs and
other
> files to my install program.  I only have one reference (DAO 3.51) and
three
> OCXs in my project yet the Wizard is adding about 16 additional files taht
> have no relation to my project...help me get rid of them.

Deployment Wizard is bloating my app!

Post by Tony Fountai » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ditto on what Colin said.  But to elaborate the DAO dll and your ocx's
aren't necessarily the only files needed.  They most likely (DAO definitely)
have their own dependency files as well.  They need to be shipped and
installed.  Usually the third party tool vendors include a readme or
something in the help on what files are required for distribution of their
components.

--

Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP

Quote:> The VB 6 Package and Deployment Wizard is consistenly adding DLLs and
other
> files to my install program.  I only have one reference (DAO 3.51) and
three
> OCXs in my project yet the Wizard is adding about 16 additional files taht
> have no relation to my project...help me get rid of them.

Deployment Wizard is bloating my app!

Post by Tim Blaxlan » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ditto to Tony & Colin's comments. Bloated app's are "the microsoft way". I'm
guessing office 2000 will be released on dvd as they won't be able to fit the
app on to a 650/680 Mb CD-ROM. Cheers to Bill and his mates for keeping the HDD
industry ticking over. :-).

> The VB 6 Package and Deployment Wizard is consistenly adding DLLs and other
> files to my install program.  I only have one reference (DAO 3.51) and three
> OCXs in my project yet the Wizard is adding about 16 additional files taht
> have no relation to my project...help me get rid of them.

Deployment Wizard is bloating my app!

Post by Colin Youn » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Funny. I've been waiting years for the announce of the MS Hard Disk and MS
RAM...it would make good business sense (for Microsoft at least).

Colin

Post by gHaD » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Ditto to Tony & Colin's comments. Bloated app's are "the microsoft way". I'm
> guessing office 2000 will be released on dvd as they won't be able to fit the
> app on to a 650/680 Mb CD-ROM. Cheers to Bill and his mates for keeping the HDD
> industry ticking over. :-).

> > The VB 6 Package and Deployment Wizard is consistenly adding DLLs and other
> > files to my install program.  I only have one reference (DAO 3.51) and three
> > OCXs in my project yet the Wizard is adding about 16 additional files taht
> > have no relation to my project...help me get rid of them.

Nawww.... they didn't bother with the DVD.  The Beta 2 was shipping with 7 CD's
though....

--
-------------------------
| gHaD (Aaron Robinson) |

Post by Paul Cleme » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

?The VB 6 Package and Deployment Wizard is consistenly adding DLLs and
other
?files to my install program.  I only have one reference (DAO 3.51)
and three
?OCXs in my project yet the Wizard is adding about 16 additional files
taht
?have no relation to my project...help me get rid of them.

One thing to keep in mind, if you aren't using references or controls
added to the project, then remove them. Otherwise the PDW will pick
them up regardless of whether your app is actually using them.

Paul
~~~~

1. I am new - Bloated Database

I am loading a database with a volume of data for the first time ever.
 I thought the database would be in the vicinity of 80MB, but it is
currently 370MB when I do a backup.  Could someone show me what tools,
or how to view the size of individual tables in a database.  If you
need more info, ask me a question and I'll respond as best I can.
Thanks.  What reasons would a database be full of air like this?

2. OPS - problem

3. Interesting Setup Wizard bloat

4. Sybase on NT vs Sybase on Unix

5. How To Configure Apps Using Cluster App Wizard

6. Ambiguous replace error message

7. Package and deployment wizard

8. Sybase Gateway to MF COBOL

9. please help me with deployment wizard

10. package and deployment wizard

11. Package and Deployment Wizard - MDAC

12. Using Package and Deployment Wizard - Didn't work

13. Question on Package and Deployment Wizard