Cannot delete or edit record using Delphi 2.01, Personal Oracle, ODBC

Cannot delete or edit record using Delphi 2.01, Personal Oracle, ODBC

Post by bgsis.. » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I got a perplexing problem when I try to delete or edit a record.  I
can enter a new record and save it, but cannot delete it, or save any
changes.  I'm using Delphi 2.01, InfoPower 2.03, Personal Oracle 7.2,
and ODBC.

I can delete and edit records in two tables I use for lookup tables
displayed in grids without a problem, but the third table will not
allow either.  When I try, I get a message that the operation is not
supported.  I've just started using all the aforementioned tools in
combination and I'm sure I must be missing something real simple so
feel free to ridicule me as long as it accompanied by an answer to the
problem.
Byron Sisson

http://www.datasync.com/~bgsisson/resume.htm

Post by Jasper St » Tue, 21 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I got a perplexing problem when I try to delete or edit a record.  I
> can enter a new record and save it, but cannot delete it, or save any
> changes.  I'm using Delphi 2.01, InfoPower 2.03, Personal Oracle 7.2,
> and ODBC.

> I can delete and edit records in two tables I use for lookup tables
> displayed in grids without a problem, but the third table will not
> allow either.  When I try, I get a message that the operation is not
> supported.  I've just started using all the aforementioned tools in
> combination and I'm sure I must be missing something real simple so
> feel free to ridicule me as long as it accompanied by an answer to the
> problem.

Lots of possible causes, if that table is accessed through a TQuery:
- is the query updatable?
- is it typed all uppercase (at least for Oracle's objects)?
- do you have the necessary rights on it?
- did you set RequestLive to True?
- bugs...
- etc...

A piece of code would help if it's something else.

Jasper

1. Delphi 2.01 thru ODBC to Personal Oracle = no LiveResult set

I have Delphi 2.01 talking to Personal Oracle 7.2 through Intersolv's ODBC
drivers.

When I add a TQuery component to my form and enter in some example SQL
eg. SELECT firstname,surname FROM knowledge

I cannot set the 'RequestLive' property to TRUE. If I do... and set the
Active property to true, I get an error from Oracle saying ORA-00942 Table
or view does not exist.

Which table is the BDE / Delphi looking for???? TTable components allow me
insert,update and delete without problems.

Steve Annetts
===============================
Accurate Business Solutions

2. NLS_DATE_FORMAT - Y2K Question

3. Db.StartTransaction in Delphi 2.01 using MS Access 7.0 ODBC Driver fails

4. The Database That Wouldn't Die

5. Help : ODBC - Delphi 1 -Access - Cannot edit record changed by another user-

6. Oracle Spatial: huge mdsys.sdo_geometry

7. Problem with Delphi 2.01 Inline Patch and ODBC Data Sources

8. Creating Table Relations Dynamically with ADOX

9. ODBC/Delphi 2.01/Access 7.0

10. Delphi 2.01 C/S and ODBC??

11. Delphi 2.01 slow compared to Delphi 1.0???

12. Delphi 2.01 x Delphi 2.0

13. Delphi 2.01 & Oracle problem