Solaris x86 vs Linux vs *BSD for PostgreSQL?

Solaris x86 vs Linux vs *BSD for PostgreSQL?

Post by Trappe » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:14:20

Ladies and gents,

I've searched around a bit, and can't seems to find any solid opinion
as to which OS postgresql likes best.  Surely some of you, my intrepid
fellow travelers, have done some investigation into this on your own.
What did you find?

I'll be more specific, and describe what I'm using now:

OS:   Linux, kernel 2.4.16 with IDE patch
DISK: Linux software raid0 across two ATA100 drives
RAM:  512 MBytes

Total db size is just South of 9 GBytes.  Most tables are 50-200 megs,
100-400,000 rows, one big table is >2GB (~4M rows).

I'm not aware of Slowlaris supporting software RAID (at least not
without 3rd party tools) so I'm thinking it's pretty much off the
list.  Putting my db on a software RAID0 vs straight disk has
resulted in certain ops going at 10x speed (yes, 10x! (no, it wasn't
due to caching!)).

ISTR that the various BSDs have a concatenated disk driver, which
I'll assume to be not unlike Linux software raid.  So, for the sake
of this discussion (unless I'm reeeeeally wrong) let's factor out
BSD vs Linux on the grounds of disk I/O performance.

I guess the thing I'm most curious about is whether there are any
neat little tricks that PostgreSQL uses on BSD that it can't use
under Linux.  Any general impressions of which environment it
prefers?

Many thanks.

--Trapper

1. RedHat Linux X86 and Oracle 7.3 X86 Solaris

Hello,

  I have RedHat Linux for X86.  I also have Oracle7.3 server for solaris X86.

 I would like to know if anyone has installed Oracle7.3 X86 solaris on RedHat
or any other Linux machine.

  If so, what type of Linux?
  Are there any tweaks that I have to do on the installation of Oracle?
  Any Linux patches or programs/add-ons that I need to install?

  etc...

  This would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas

2. Oracle 8.1.7 installation program wouldn't run

3. Oracle vs PostgreSQL vs MySQL vs mSQL : COMPARISON

4. Condition appear on Form

5. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

6. Open the Cursors using TempTables

7. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which sh

8. ODBC

9. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which

10. PostgreSQL vs Oracle vs DB2 vs MySQL - Which should

11. Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

12. OAS vs X86 Solaris 2.6

13. Oracle vs MySQL vs PostgreSQL