Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resident program)

Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resident program)

Post by Malghan, Rav » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:12:40

Is it possible to run post-gresql in memory? I searched through all the
older postings didn't find much info.

Thanks
Ravi

Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resident program)

Post by Christopher Brown » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 05:06:16

Quote:> Is it possible to run post-gresql in memory? I searched through all the
> older postings didn't find much info.

You could presumably mount the databases on an in-memory filesystem
such as the oft-available "tempfs", and thus have the data reside "in
memory."

But more realistically if this is what you /truly/ want, you should
probably look at other packages like FastDB or Speedy.
--

http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html
"You can not reason a man out  of a position he  did not reach through

1. Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resident

What is it that you want to *do*?  Like any program, while postgresql is
running, parts of it are in memory.

ap

2. Documentration

3. Can postgresql be run in memory (like a memory resi

4. GROUP BY date

5. Oracle on HP-UX running out of Resident Memory

6. Help with Adaptec 2906 SCSI and Proplus

7. Memory Leak - Running out of Virtual Memory

8. program stays running in memory

10. Informix running out of memory when a JDBC based data loading program executes

11. Resident Memory